mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Twister Restoration... sort of

A Twister has been my dream gun since the late 90's. I couldn't afford one back then, of course, but now I've gotten to a point where I have the means to pick one up and prices have come down somewhat

So a few months back when laxpro69 put up this body kit for sale I had to pick it up. A centerfeed P-block was my preferred style and though this on was drilled I figured I could make it work. It was one that I didn't have to worry about ruining a factory anno and one I could build the way I wanted without removing stock parts and taking away from it's value.

I'd heard contradictory reports on how successful it would to tig weld the eye holes. No one seemed to have any pictures posted of how one looked after anno, so I took a shot at it.

Stripped the anno, cleaned and prepped and then welded the holes...

Took the excess off with a mill...

Touched it up with a sanding block and 400 grit paper down to "0000" steel wool. You can see that the welded area is a slightly different shade than the surrounding body...

Got all my parts disassembled cleaned and packed them off to Tonsixers! They did an outstanding job! However the weld did not take anno pefectly...

It doesn't look horrible but it is definitely noticeable. Robertsr is making a set of custom grips and a couple of jewels with the BPS logo. I'm planning on just putting the BPS logo jewel over the weld but I keep second guessing it. I'll just have to see how it looks when I get them.

I still have a match anno'd front block that I need to find pnues for but I'm still debating on whether to put chrome or black pneus on it.

Until then it was good enough to win Cocker of the Month in the pump category at Custom Cockers!

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
mag shooter

saw a guy fix a dallara body somewhere on here he had his buddy make a pin that was oversized. hit it in the whole then cut it off and cleaned it up. cut the extra off inside. looked great. your project looks pretty good.

feedback(http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Looks a ton better then it did before. I'm glad to see someone trying something to fix some of these nice older bodies. What kind of rod did you use when you welded it.
Craig 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

AKA Fan
ER5356 rod
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
All unicorns caught :-)

After seeing that tortured body float around for 6-9 months, it is good to see that it found someone to really give it some good treatment. I approve!
sharkytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Six Point Five

Could have tryed dual detents?

Btw. Looks amazing!

ves206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

AKA Fan
went with this...

Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
VERY NICE! Robert does great work too!
Sure is purty!
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

I think I'm crying... that is a beautiful gun man. Well done.
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ves206 View Post
Could have tryed dual detents?

Btw. Looks amazing!
That's what I'd personally do....way less work.

But anyway wow, this project came out absolutely great! love it man!
Myrkul is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP