mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Help-Pump cocker vibrates when fired

I have a WGP Outkast pump (03-04?) that vibrates when the trigger is pulled. I thought it may be the hammer vibrating against the valve stem, and that the valve and hammer springs were unbalanced. I had a spare Maddman kit and changed the springs (medium valve, light hammer), as well as the valve o-ring, which made the vibration worse, it really makes a 'clang'.
I switched out the hammer spring with the medium and heavy, with no difference. Anyone with another idea?

PROBLEM SOLVED: improperly balance springs caused the vibration and a crappy clamping feedneck allowed it to ring like a bell. See page 2 for not so funny story.

Last edited by cox_sp; 05-25-2013 at 09:17 AM.
cox_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Is this with no air in the gun? If so it is just the hammer bouncing on the valve, it is normal.
Rotozip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's worse without air, but you can hear it when its aired up too. I have couple of pumped Trilogies, and I've never heard anything like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Just give that gun to your girlfriend
zigenscarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCD Member

I had something similar with my 04 prostock. It was fine with stock springs, but the madmann springs vibrated. You could feel it throughout the whole gun. I ended up getting some light springs from paintballgateway. Vibration is gone.

Springs are on the way to your girlfriend zigen...
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

@Frankw
I'll try swapping the valve springs out. Would I be right in assuming the hammer is hitting the valve nut?

@Zigen
My girlfriend doesn't like to pump
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCD Member

It seemed to me that the hammer spring was vibrating against the body. The madmann spring is longer and has a greater diameter than the stock, so even uncocked the spring is compressed and may be touching the body... that's my theory anyway. I tried various combinations of the madmann springs and could never get rid of the vibration. I think I even tried the stock valve spring with various hammer springs.

The springs I have in now are lighter than the green springs for both the valve and the hammer, and I get no vibrations.

Let us know what you come up with. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this problem!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wondered whether the hammer may have been hitting the valve nut and changed to a heavy valve/light hammer and the clang just about went away with the marker gassed up (it sounds and feels like a spring vibration now).
Then I tried the 'original' hammer spring and it sounded almost normal, except the velocity was very low. Rather than turn up the reg (which would have made more sense) I switched back to the light hammer and eventually the medium hammer.
I want to set it up as modified stock class so I'll run it like this for a bit, see if the springs wear in. I'm going to order low pressure springs from painballgateway and switch back to a lighter hammer spring if I have to.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCD Member

I'm surprised that you had low velocities with the original hammer spring. I would have expected at least higher velocities than the light spring. If you haven't already, you might want to sweet spot your reg for whatever springs you have in.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I messed with springs, valves, etc on my 32Deg Sniper, and could never get it just right. Purchased a CCM lower tube kit, sweetspotted it, and BAM suddenly it's perfect.

Not a fanboy, just reporting my results. Hope it helps.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP