mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Help diagnosing air issue

Yesterday I found some time to get my Prostick together and start some tuning. While adjusting the stock regulator (05 Prostock, assuming its an Ergo type reg), it bottomed out; and now, regardless of how much I adjust the regulator, it barely spits a ball out.

Time for a reg rebuild?
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCD Member

No leaking? Is the bolt right side up? Have pressure in the tank?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Pressure in the tank was near full, above 3K. Bolt was good. It happened while in the middle of attempting to sweetspot the reg. It had been shooting at velocity. It wasn't until I turned the reg all the way in after moving the IVG in (velocity was still low, around 250, decided to move the ivg in and try again) did the problem start. There was leaking that I could hear.

I figure I may have over-torqued the nut and something seized up. I took the reg apart to check everything out. The washers looked good, none were flattened out. The seal in the reg seat has indentions from the spring and piston; but no deep cuts. The reg was dirty on the inside, but not caked up with gunk.
I cleaned the reg up, replaced the piston and piston stem o-rings for good measure, and added an 8th washer from another WGP reg I have here. Lubed it up and will check things out tomorrow after work.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCD Member

So you could hear leaking? Where was air leaking from? Also, if I remember correctly turning the reg in decreases the pressure.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Typo via lack of communication between my brain and the keyboard.
There wasn't any leaking that I could hear.

True. I lowered the pressure in preperation of raising it again after turning the IVG in to up my overall velocity. When I first started the process of sweet spotting the reg, the highest velocity I was able to achieve was in the 250fps range; so I lowered the reg pressure and turned the IVG in another full turn to restart the process (previously set at 2 turns).
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Got to air it up and put a Sportshot full of rounds through it. All is well in the world again.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Aand now its back. This time around, the pressure was bleeding off in the reg. the only thing I wasn't able to replace is the reg seat, so that is what I'll do next. Let's hope this fixes the problem. I love the looks of the BM reg and don't want to have to replace it.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCD Member

There's also that little oring under the top hat. That will cause the reg to bleed.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks for the kind words in your wtb thread. That itty bitty o ring was changed also. I used a buna o ring. Not sure if that was the cause for the bleed; but I'm figuring it was a blessing in disguise, as I ignorantly figured I was having a low pressure problem. A new seat was ordered, plus an entire o ring set for the reg. if this doesn't solve the issue, I'll move on to another reg. i really can't see how this won't fix it though; everything else looks spotless or was replaced, except for that seat.

Btw, was there a change in the seat that anyone knows of? Looking at the picture of the replacement seat from PB Gateway, the brass appears solid below the clear plastic piece (hard to know for sure from the pic, the clear plastic isn't crystal clear). I ask because the seat that is in my BM reg now has a spring and cup/spacer underneath that clear portion. It looks to be some kind of vent, as there is a tiny port from the spring's pocket to the outside of the brass seat.

Last edited by danssoslow; 05-16-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCD Member

I've had a couple bm regs and I've seen both. The one with the hole vents right when you de-gas, the solid one doesn't. I don't know the history of when they changed though.

Don't forget about that extra washer you had in there if you haven't taken it out already. Hope the new seat fixes your problem. I think you can try flipping the cupseal around too. The other side of it probably isn't dented and should give a better seal. I wonder if that valve in the seat could be gunked up and stuck?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP