mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Low pressure max efficency

I need to get my gun tuned right before an event on the 20th. Basically I'm taking someone and I have to use my Slp tank since she's going to use my smaller tank. I need to get as many shots as I can since the event isn't at a field with a traditional fill station

Right now I've got my cocker running 200psi at the reg with a maddman spring kit (blue valve, green hammer) and it looks (don't have a chrono) like it's shooting at speed. But I'm getting about 150 shots per 500psi (1350 total according to my math) is there a spring valve combo I can use to suck out a little more efficiency without have to sacrifice the hpr's low pressure
Smidiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Shocker2k Send a message via MSN to Shocker2k

From my understanding of LP guns you will want to run a higher pressure for better efficiency. For low pressure guns it requires a larger volume of air to push the paintball the same speed as a small burst of higher pressure air. I would find a valve ie: pre 98 valve that has a higher pressure requirement and less volume in the valve.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

Nick
Shocker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker2k View Post
From my understanding of LP guns you will want to run a higher pressure for better efficiency. For low pressure guns it requires a larger volume of air to push the paintball the same speed as a small burst of higher pressure air. I would find a valve ie: pre 98 valve that has a higher pressure requirement and less volume in the valve.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

Nick
From what I've found on Google It looks like the longer the valve is left open the lower the efficiency. So maybe I can put the red valve spring in and jump it up a little bit, while maintaining my low pressure operation. I'll have to test it when I'm at a field or have access to a chrono
Old 07-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Shocker2k Send a message via MSN to Shocker2k

That is true, if the valve is left open for a shorter period of time less air is making it through the gun. But you will also need a higher velocity of that air passing through your gun to make up for the volume difference in the air. Im sure theres some fancy calculation that I could make but I have no idea what that might be lol. Its a strange balance that you have to find.

Nick
Shocker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
With a red valve and green main u might not be able to get ur gun to fps
Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I guess I should be happy that I have a good shooting cocker at this psi that should get decent efficiency
If it aint broke don't fix it I guess. But it would be nice to bump that 1300 to somewhere in the 1600 range
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
You can't be stuck on the pressure if you want efficiency. What you need to do is to sweetspot the gun over a chrono. Whatever pressure that ends up being is going to be the most efficient.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
You can't be stuck on the pressure if you want efficiency. What you need to do is to sweetspot the gun over a chrono. Whatever pressure that ends up being is going to be the most efficient.
The gun is roughly sweet spotted actually. I originally set the gun to 400psi and I had to turn the reg down until it shot at what looked to be a good velocity. Which is now 200psi. I'm sure I could get much closer to a perfect sweet spot with a chrono but for the time being it's set up pretty good.

Edit: and my only concern with the psi is that I need to keep it bellow 300psi so that I can use my slp tank
Old 07-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
For the best possible efficiency with the stock valve, use the stock hammer spring. The stock hammer spring should be shorter than the madman hammer springs. If the IVG is set correctly, the hammer will no longer hold the valve open when the gun isn't aired up. That also means the hammer will 'pop' the valve open but still let it close quickly. Then find the heaviest valve spring you can use while still not turning the IVG in too much, it will probably be a blue valve spring. That should get you up to 1600 shots once sweetspotted. Will it be below 300psi? Nope. I don't know of a solution without buying another valve for the gun.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP