mcarterbrown.com

Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to KarlMalone

Question about Superstock Select Fire

Im looking at a 2005 Autococker Superstock Select Fire I can get one for 150, my question is are these quality, before they where bought out and went cheap on us?
KarlMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Marathoner

I don't know about the 2005, but I have a trilogy tactical SF and there is no manual to be found anywhere online, the reg does not vent as per ASTM regulations, and good luck if you get shot in the grip frame.
Not fun to clean the grip frame.

Shoots well, though I can't figure out how to enable the eyes.

Last edited by secretweaponevan; 10-11-2007 at 04:54 AM. Reason: ...there is 'no' manual...
secretweaponevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

As far as I know, you should be OK as far as quality goes. I seen and held them and they feel nice. You MIGHT be disappointed with the SF trigger because of its limitations. I like mine quite a bit because of its simplicity but i do not like the fact the battery life dwindles fast: 3-4 cases max before battery is dead. (at least this has been my experience)

Its like SWE said, the trilogy tactical sf is where the quality started to meander. i held one before my local shop went under and i did not like it at all. The trigger was horrendous and the overall feel wasn't "autocockerish"

For $150, I have been considering picking one up just for the price

Just my input
Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

at $150, the price makes it pretty worth while. You aren't getting a super-cocker by any means, but it performs as well, if not better, than any other e-marker in that price range. The Worr-Frame which is the SF-grip frame, is an E1 frame so it carries the faults of the original E1s made by Planet Eclipse. Battery drain even when the marker is off, some minor bounce issues, and a bit of trigger slop as well as lack of an LED/LCD Panel on the exterior to show you what mode you are in, etc are about the only issues. Otherwise, the Super-Stocks weren't changed around after the sellout. They're the same stock WGP parts that have been around since the '00 re-design and do well. You may need to fine tune it once you get it, but even out of the box, they shoot pretty darn well. If you have a budget and want a marker that will give you good performance with unlimited upgradability, the 'Cockers on clearance (pro-stock, super-stock, etc) are where it's at right now.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I bought one and for the price I'm really happy with it. It's decent quality, and the fit and finish are nice.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to KarlMalone

Thanks for the replies, its sad to see WGP just making cheap markers now.
KarlMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlMalone View Post
Thanks for the replies, its sad to see WGP just making cheap markers now.
The 2005 Superstock is not a cheap marker, it's an expensive marker at a cheap price. When they came out in '05 people were excited to get one for $600. Even up until a short time ago they were $400 and above. The reason they are selling so cheap is that WGP is clearing out all of their older style markers in preparation for the new line launching after World Cup. The have 2 new high end markers on the way, a cheap electronic blowback and will still sell the Trilogy. The SS style of Autococker is the last of it's kind. Just because it's below $150 now does not mean it's any less of a marker than it was when it hit the market at $600+.

ANSGEAR.COM - Great Prices, Great Selections, Great Customer Service. has them for $130 now if you don't want all black. Buy two at that price, it's worth it.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
It's kinda lame that WGP couldn't come up with a name for this gun that wasn't already used.

The Pacific Rim does things their own way, I guess. That's one of the reasons that I try to keep as many of my dollars in American hands whenever possible.

A little .02 insertion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you watch ebay you can get them shipped to you for less than 150. I just picked mine up for 130 shipped. Maybe it was just blind luck but I doubt it.

MCB Feedback
CC Feedback
spanky1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretweaponevan View Post
I don't know about the 2005, but I have a trilogy tactical SF and there is manual to be found anywhere online, the reg does not vent as per ASTM regulations, and good luck if you get shot in the grip frame.
Not fun to clean the grip frame.

Shoots well, though I can't figure out how to enable the eyes.
I bought a 2004 Black Magic from a fellow MCBer recently; my first Autococker. The manual that I got WGP to send me wasn't any more helpful than just fiddling with it.

I don't know if you realize it or not (sorry to be patronizing if you do), but the eyes don't keep the bolt from cycling. When the eye is functioning, it will hold the bolt open a little longer than usual while waiting for a ball to appear. If no ball appears, the bolt closes anyway and the LED on the back of the frame blinks RED instead of YELLOW.

You can tell if the eye is working by turning on the marker (quick press of frame button, LED blinks yellow), and dry firing (no air). The first few shots will be slow as the board unsuccessfully waits for the ball to appear. After that, the board assumes the eyes are malfunctioning and ignores them. The LED starts blinking red at this point, and the board fires and cycles without delay. If you stop firing, the LED will eventually blink yellow again, telling you the board is giving the eye another chance.

From here, if you press and hold the button 'til the LED turns solid yellow and release it, you'll be in the eye-disabled mode, and the LED will blink red and ignore the eyes.

Another short press of the button at this time puts the board in DEMO mode which only cycles the bolt (not sure if the eye is enabled or not).

A LONG press of the button at any time will turn the LED solid red, and it will power the gun off a few seconds after you release the button.

I came from STBB and FASOR land, so the Select Fire eye logic required some head-scratching before I got it. After a trouble-free day of recballing with my new 'cocker (with a Halo TSA loader!), I'm really happy with it.

The Eclipse grips that got fitted to my SF frame are floppy, so I might try and modify some Ego grips to fit if they're "rigidized". Otherwise, I might slip a sheet of 0.050 G10 between the grips and the frame; my huge hand needs something to hold onto, and as a side benefit they will help keep dirt and paint out.
MondoMor is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP