mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I want to build another Cocker

Nothing fancy at all. In fact, just the opposite. I want a TRUE budget build. Not because I really need one but because I enjoy it and really miss tinkering with paintball guns.

Quick back story, I haven't played in nearly 18 months. 16 months ago we had a son, 13 months ago we moved to Atlanta, 12 months ago I started back to school full time and a month and a half ago we had another son. SO, there really hasn't been a lot of time for Paintball but I miss it greatly. However, due to 2 new babies and school, there's a LOT less extra $$ to throw around on toys. Well, toys for me anyway.

I've been looking at eBay and the classifies here, CC and, wait for it, PBN. There's some decent stuff out there that fits what I'm looking for but I can't get myself to come off $100 for a RF body with a hodge-podge of parts and the ones that are close to what I would like are nearly $200. I'd like it to be somewhat of a sleeper so I don't want something super fancy, but I've been in love with the early STOs since I first saw one some 15+ years ago.

I trimmed a LOT of my PB stuff over the last year but still have some random miscellaneous stuff I've thought about putting up for trade towards some parts but don't want to spend $5 shipping an item I traded for a $10 piece.

Here's what I'm thinking...
  • Body: '98+ RF or 2K-2K2 CF. Dust Black, though colors are okay
  • Frame: I LOVE Eclipse frames, but I'm not going to drop that kind of money on a frame. For Mechs I prefer two finger so whatever will work. Would prefer a KAPP if one can be found for a decent price.
  • Pneus: Whatever I can find cheap that isn't junk. Agains, been watching eGay for complete sets as that seems cheaper than buying each piece.
  • Internals: I don't want to skimp on these, but don't want to pay $100 for AKA ones either. Basically, something above stock.
  • Bolt: Don't really care as long as it's not crap.
  • Reg: Same as Bolt. I don't like the older WGP regs as they're a PITA to adjust. I do like ANS regs a lot.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, rants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hey i have these sitting here taking up space.

If for some reason you have spyder/clone parts or orings. Will trade ya.
I need parts for my crack guns.

If not will do for the 12$ its gonna cost for shipping.

All stock: pre 2k body w/internals and pnues and a set of 2k pnues.
All worked before i tore apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson677 View Post
But being dumb doesn't necessarily make you a bad person. Good dumb people are much better than bad smart people.

Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house. Isaiah 58
Dougefreshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
That would be perfect! I had an old clone but not sure what I did with it. I've got a bunch of randomness at home I'll check. Anything in particular you're looking for?

Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Internals.but anything works.i have 10-15 diff guns not working for one reason or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson677 View Post
But being dumb doesn't necessarily make you a bad person. Good dumb people are much better than bad smart people.

Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house. Isaiah 58
Dougefreshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
I lika doa the cha cha

If you have a madmann spring kit laying around I may have some things for trade.....
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have a pre2k rf that will need one (I know for sure) of the grip frame holes helicoiled. I can include lower internals, 2k kapp bb, an jungle looking asa, and a decent black wgp hinge to $55 shipped. If the fb and stuff attached to it is found I will include at no cost. I won't be able to get better pics until Sunday though.

Dysturbed87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Here's what I'm thinking...
  • Body: '98+ RF or 2K-2K2 CF. Dust Black, though colors are okay
  • Frame: I LOVE Eclipse frames, but I'm not going to drop that kind of money on a frame. For Mechs I prefer two finger so whatever will work. Would prefer a KAPP if one can be found for a decent price.
  • Pneus: Whatever I can find cheap that isn't junk. Agains, been watching eGay for complete sets as that seems cheaper than buying each piece.
  • Internals: I don't want to skimp on these, but don't want to pay $100 for AKA ones either. Basically, something above stock.
  • Bolt: Don't really care as long as it's not crap.
  • Reg: Same as Bolt. I don't like the older WGP regs as they're a PITA to adjust. I do like ANS regs a lot.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, rants...
Body: Nice black small cocker parts are getting more and more expensive. Getting a body that's a color can open you up to getting other parts in the same color which are usually cheaper than the same part in black.
Frame: KAPP frames can be just as much as Eclipse frames. People now realize what PPS has been saying for years, KAPP made one of the best (if not the best) hinge frames. Remember the PowerLyte and ANS hinge frames are copies of the Eclipse frame, don't forget to check those out. I've always been a fan of the WGP hinge frames. They can be found for next to nothing and are quality frames.
Pneus: I don't understand why you wanna skimp on these parts and put money into internals. The 3way can make all the difference in how a gun operates. I'd take my time to find some quality pneumatics for good prices. ANS gear has 3ways for only $15 right now.
Internals: I'd stick with the stock stuff if on a budget. The stock valve is basically what comes on all Freeflows and Evolutions. Ironically, the stock hammer is usually heavier than other aftermarket hammers because it doesn't have holes threaded and tapped for set screws. But if you're dead set on nice lowers, ANS has their valve right now for $15 and it comes with an extra valve seal (which can be used twice, so basically 4 valve seals). The Palmer valve is the best for the money if buying new, it's hard to find used for a reason.
Bolt: Stock WGP delrin bolts are easy to find for a good price and work fine. Don't forget AKA Lightening bolts are only $35 new, and can be found cheaper used.
Reg: While the stock WGP regulator is a pain to adjust, it's actually a great reg for an autococker. After the gun is sweetspotted there isn't a need to adjust the regulator unless it's creeping. On top of that, the WGP inline reg is very consistent and has a very high flow. There is a reason AKA recommended it's use with their low pressure system and made an adjuster cap for the regulator before they made the Sidewinder. It's the same reason Empire is still using it on the Sniper and Resurrection. For a budget build, I honestly don't see a better regulator that you can find for $10 like the stock WGP inline.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
If a budget is the prime concern.

Body: 2K-2K2 CF. Though, for whatever reason, I always find 2k3's the cheapest.
Frame: At the risk of being deemed a heretic, I actually really like the stock WGP double trigger hinge frame. I just find I can wail on it pretty good.
Pneus: If you're keeping it mech, just get a good 3way and a Tickler. I always seem to find Shocktech 3ways the cheapest, but the orings can be hard to source. I like the Tickler LPR's simply because they're cheap, easily adjustable from the outside, and they do the job. The stock one is good, but I really hate that it's adjusted from the inside at the back.
Internals: The stock actually isn't all that bad. Just spring it. The Rat Valve and Palmer's LT are my other bang-for-buck favourites.
Bolt: Stock. It just works.
Reg: The stock is great, but it's such a pain to adjust. I'd use it until you find a deal on something else. Or, if you're lucky, find one with the WGP Ergo HPR. I believe they're externally adjustable.

Price-wise, I've picked up the following within the past year or two so you should be able to find something similar if you look hard enough.

-all stock 2k3 CF $75 shipped
-Shocktech 3way $30 at the local proshop, Flagswipe
-Tickler $15 from MCB
-spring kit $12

Less than $140 and it would be a really good mech cocker IMO. If you find one with the Ergo reg, I'd pay extra for that.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougefreshe View Post
Internals.but anything works.i have 10-15 diff guns not working for one reason or another.
I can't find any STBB style but I have an old '98 that was complete until my wife tried her hand at disassembly. Still have the internals and clam shell pieces and a cocker to '98 adapter.

Also, shoot me your paypal and I'll get some $$ over to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz121 View Post
If you have a madmann spring kit laying around I may have some things for trade.....
I'll look but it may be gone. I shed a LOT of parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
Body: Nice black small cocker parts are getting more and more expensive. Getting a body that's a color can open you up to getting other parts in the same color which are usually cheaper than the same part in black. I don't mind mismatched parts to be honest but that's a very valid point.
Frame: KAPP frames can be just as much as Eclipse frames. People now realize what PPS has been saying for years, KAPP made one of the best (if not the best) hinge frames. Remember the PowerLyte and ANS hinge frames are copies of the Eclipse frame, don't forget to check those out. I've always been a fan of the WGP hinge frames. They can be found for next to nothing and are quality frames. I've been looking for the PowerLtye or ANS frames as well. I really like the ANS frames but they go quick.
Pneus: I don't understand why you wanna skimp on these parts and put money into internals. The 3way can make all the difference in how a gun operates. I'd take my time to find some quality pneumatics for good prices. ANS gear has 3ways for only $15 right now. I didn't mean to imply that I would skimp, just don't want to drop Belsales type money. I've had a crap 3-way I had to perform a camino mod on.
Internals: I'd stick with the stock stuff if on a budget. The stock valve is basically what comes on all Freeflows and Evolutions. Ironically, the stock hammer is usually heavier than other aftermarket hammers because it doesn't have holes threaded and tapped for set screws. But if you're dead set on nice lowers, ANS has their valve right now for $15 and it comes with an extra valve seal (which can be used twice, so basically 4 valve seals). The Palmer valve is the best for the money if buying new, it's hard to find used for a reason. I can stick with stock, you make a very valid point.
Bolt: Stock WGP delrin bolts are easy to find for a good price and work fine. Don't forget AKA Lightening bolts are only $35 new, and can be found cheaper used. I may have a couple of bolts still. I had a whole load of cocker parts and may still have some left over.
Reg: While the stock WGP regulator is a pain to adjust, it's actually a great reg for an autococker. After the gun is sweetspotted there isn't a need to adjust the regulator unless it's creeping. On top of that, the WGP inline reg is very consistent and has a very high flow. There is a reason AKA recommended it's use with their low pressure system and made an adjuster cap for the regulator before they made the Sidewinder. It's the same reason Empire is still using it on the Sniper and Resurrection. For a budget build, I honestly don't see a better regulator that you can find for $10 like the stock WGP inline. All of the stock WGP regs I've used (a lot) have always worked great, but been a major PITA to setup so I've usually steered clear of them.
Replied in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
If a budget is the prime concern.

Body: 2K-2K2 CF. Though, for whatever reason, I always find 2k3's the cheapest. I've looked but can't find any decent 2K3s for a good price. I like that design better than the 2K4 as well.
Frame: At the risk of being deemed a heretic, I actually really like the stock WGP double trigger hinge frame. I just find I can wail on it pretty good. The stock WGP double just don't feel great to me. It's kind of awkward really.
Pneus: If you're keeping it mech, just get a good 3way and a Tickler. I always seem to find Shocktech 3ways the cheapest, but the orings can be hard to source. I like the Tickler LPR's simply because they're cheap, easily adjustable from the outside, and they do the job. The stock one is good, but I really hate that it's adjusted from the inside at the back. I like the Tickler LPRs as well but for "budget" LPRs my favorite is the ANS ones. I actually have some Shocktech 3-Way o-rings from before. I had a CT 3-way that was junk so I swapped it for Shocktech that worked way more better and gooder.
Internals: The stock actually isn't all that bad. Just spring it. The Rat Valve and Palmer's LT are my other bang-for-buck favorites. I've used both before and always like the Rat valve. I LOVE an AKA Tornado but don't love the price.
Bolt: Stock. It just works. I never cared for the AL stock ones but the delrin aren't bad.
Reg: The stock is great, but it's such a pain to adjust. I'd use it until you find a deal on something else. Or, if you're lucky, find one with the WGP Ergo HPR. I believe they're externally adjustable. The Ergo is okay but I really like the ANS HPRs as well. Easy to adjust and maintain. And they don't look horrible either.

Price-wise, I've picked up the following within the past year or two so you should be able to find something similar if you look hard enough.

-all stock 2k3 CF $75 shipped
-Shocktech 3way $30 at the local proshop, Flagswipe
-Tickler $15 from MCB
-spring kit $12

Less than $140 and it would be a really good mech cocker IMO. If you find one with the Ergo reg, I'd pay extra for that. Very good points sir! I'm watching some on eGay and hoping they don't end to high. Not a lot of play money anymore but I don't have a semi at all right now.
More answers in Red.

I'm supposed to play this Saturday if weather holds out. I'll see how I feel at the end of the day.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
There's stuff kicking around the BST close to what you want then.

Quote:
WGP Outkast Autococker. This is in very good condition, but it does need the pneumatics completed. I will include a 3 way and some other misc pneu parts free of charge, but this is being sold as is as a project gun. Upgrades include

-Dye swing trigger frame
-Dye grips
-CP 16 inch chrome barrel

price - $150
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/2759318-post11.html

Maybe ask for a discount if no 3way or no barrel (if you still have one). Throw a better 3way on it, spring it, and you'd be pretty good.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP