mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Splat Attack VLM

Let me start at the beginning. A couple of years ago I had to sell a gun I really loved. It was a VLM I built up, black body, Eclipse frame, Sidewinder, etc. Anyway, a couple of months ago I came across a Splat Attack VLM body w/ matching mini-front block (w/ VASA), P block and what appeared to be internals. I worked out a deal with the seller and it was on its way. Here's one of the seller's pics and why I believed it came with internals. The cocking rod is sticking out the back, which it would only do if screwed into a hammer, and the beaver tail screw is in which is common with slug style IVGs. I had seen the gun before and another member was kind enough to send me a picture of the gun in its original configuration. The number on it is SA 0025 so it's an early one and I believe they weren't anno'ing entire guns at this point, though I could be wrong. Anyway, the seller had the other parts off the gun (they had stripped it down to part out) and some of the other parts had already sold. Since there wasn't a matching frame out there, I wasn't as concerned with it not being part of the kit as I prefer swing frames on my mechs. It appears to have originally had PPS Pneus (which was pretty common for SA to do) so I wanted to keep somewhat with that idea and go with a PPS Micro-Rock and PPS QEVs. That was the plan at least.
Original Pic:

Seller's pic:

However, when I received it, there were no lower internals. A few PMs back and forth and we worked out a deal for a set of internals including a Shocktech valve for $30. I had some other parts come in for it, and for another project I had, so I tossed some of the parts on the body to get an idea of how she would look. The frame was for my KAPP project and the Ergo reg is something I had extra. You can see I got an early PPS Micro-Rock for it as well as the PPS QEVs but went with a Freeflow Ram. Here is what she looked like mocked up:

After having it like that I decided that was too much chrome and I didn't like it which mean the frame would have to be black. I knew I wanted a swing and I love the PE frames, but had done that before. I hunted down an AKA Merlin frame, one that I thought would work with an actuating rod. After finding it and the internals (that was an arduous task) it ended up not working. Sigh. I found a later Micro-Rock in black and put that on there as well as some clear-green pneumatic hose.
New-matics. See what I did there? (lots of dust and lint from it sitting while I waited on parts and money to buy more parts)

So, I sold the frame and when I listed it, I mentioned that I would like at a PE or if some soul just happen to have on and had pity on me, a Jackal RDL frame. The heavens parted and the angels looked down on me and smiled and I was delivered a Jackal RDL frame. I was also able to locate a Works Reg for it as well. They both came in while I was out of town so as soon as I got home, she was ready to be put together. The 3-way is still the Taso I had (haven't figured out what I want to replace it with or come across any great deals on decent 3-ways that someone else hasn't already snagged). I also need a beaver tail but I'm trying to figure out which one I want. Leaning towards a PE Wire one or maybe a KAPP one. Don't really know. Most likely going to go with an AKA Rail and On/Off combo as I tried a drop and I don't like how far forward a drop places the tank.
Current setup:

So, the big questions I have:
  1. Stay with the Works reg or go with a Sidewinder
  2. Leave current color or re-anno

99% Done. Now it's little things like an AKA cocking rod, pull pin and beavertail and a PPS Ram.
Pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Last edited by chopper duke; 10-16-2013 at 10:33 PM.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I dig it! And I like the ano. A black reg might be nice aesthetically, especially if it's AKA. I'd be sorely tempted to go all-black on the pneus as well.
Riddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Love the body style [VLM's are my favorite] and anodizing
It needs a Sidewinder. The works reg is a good reg but a VLM has to have a sidewinder IMHO [Black is a good color to go with Trigger Frame].

Side note - this deserves custom grips too

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
makin bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
I dig it! And I like the ano. A black reg might be nice aesthetically, especially if it's AKA. I'd be sorely tempted to go all-black on the pneus as well.
I agree with all of this. I would also probably do all black pneus as well.
To keep with the AKA theme, I would get a sidewinder. Also, if you call AKA, they can hook you up with their beavertail. They just seem to match better.
I just got one a few weeks ago.

If you are interested in bomb 3 way, Pm me. I have a chrome and a black one.

As far as matching ano, I have SA0007 and it has matching fb, bb, vasa, body, frame, and b-tail. So, they did do them, I just dont know how many.

Last edited by baconquilt; 09-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
I'd wager that the body was milled an anodized as a kit, meant to be built for any customer who didn't want to wait on an entire gun.

+1 for a Sidewinder, although I personally prefer the SST since it can be completely rebuild with standard orings.

It looks like it's in decent shape. Does the anodizing have any bad scratches? I'd keep it original if it's good cosmetically. If you really love it after you've played with it a few times, then maybe a custom ano would be justified.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
I tend to agree. I'm really leaning towards a Sidewinder for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Love the body style [VLM's are my favorite] and anodizing
It needs a Sidewinder. The works reg is a good reg but a VLM has to have a sidewinder IMHO [Black is a good color to go with Trigger Frame].

Yeah, I got the Works because it's different but I'm just not feeling it with this body. To bad too 'cause it's a nice reg.

What kind custom grips??

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconquilt View Post
I agree with all of this. I would also probably do all black pneus as well.
To keep with the AKA theme, I would get a sidewinder. Also, if you call AKA, they can hook you up with their beavertail. They just seem to match better.
I just got one a few weeks ago.

If you are interested in bomb 3 way, Pm me. I have a chrome and a black one.

As far as matching ano, I have SA0007 and it has matching fb, bb, vasa, body, frame, and b-tail. So, they did do them, I just dont know how many.
I've thought about the all black Pneus and with black frame and reg, it makes sense. The problem is finding a decent black ram that doesn't cost a small fortune. Also, AKA has posted on their site that they're not taking more orders and are looking to offload that portion of their company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
I'd wager that the body was milled an anodized as a kit, meant to be built for any customer who didn't want to wait on an entire gun.

+1 for a Sidewinder, although I personally prefer the SST since it can be completely rebuild with standard orings.

It looks like it's in decent shape. Does the anodizing have any bad scratches? I'd keep it original if it's good cosmetically. If you really love it after you've played with it a few times, then maybe a custom ano would be justified.
I think you're right on about the kit being anno'd by itself and something they could pull out and put some parts on.

Are the SST's that much easier to work on? I was debating between one of those and a round bottom Sidewinder. It's only an $8 difference.

As for scratches, there is one bad nick and two small ones on the passenger side of the body. And the P-Block shows wear, which is to be expected. Here's a pic of the nicks body:

Quote:
Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
makin bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I've thought about the all black Pneus and with black frame and reg, it makes sense. The problem is finding a decent black ram that doesn't cost a small fortune. Also, AKA has posted on their site that they're not taking more orders and are looking to offload that portion of their company.
i didnt see that.
i did see this:
In the meantime, we are still open for business so you can order from our webpage as usual.

i imagine you can still call and order as well.

and for a decent ram, find a black sto or shocktech ram. they work great and dont cost 50 bucks.
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconquilt View Post
i didnt see that.
i did see this:
In the meantime, we are still open for business so you can order from our webpage as usual.

i imagine you can still call and order as well.

and for a decent ram, find a black sto or shocktech ram. they work great and dont cost 50 bucks.
I may try giving them a call then. I know with Larry being ill, they haven't been able to answer the phones as much.

I'm thinking about keeping it all PPS, as it was originally, but going black instead of chrome.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post

Ageed. Does PBAlien make those wood grips he sells? If so, have him make a set out of some of this wood; and, IMHO, it would set that green body off like no other!

Woodstabilizer.com | Acrylic Stabilized Wood for Knife Handle, Knife Scales, Pistol Grips and Gun Grips

Or maybe even this green Kirinite. Wicked looking stuff.

http://usaknifemaker.com/kirinite-me...0-5-sheet.html

Anything that might accentuate the green swirl in the anno.

why do you think i drive so carefully?

My feedback

Last edited by danssoslow; 09-28-2013 at 03:16 AM.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Agree 100% with riddler...ps...I almost bought this when it was listed out of desperation for a new build...lol
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP