mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mini cockers

What are the pro's and cons compared to a regular cocker body, if any
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

The benefit is a slightly lighter and tighter gun. Full size 'cockers feel really long to me, especially with a beavertail.

I believe there is less volume for air, so they would be more susceptible to shoot down - at least in older ones. The other down side is that the ASA feel like it hangs down 10 feet, so using anything other than a WDP minireg feels and looks awkward to me. The last thing I can think of is that pump kits for mini-cockers are more expensive.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
makin bacon

i dont know about pros and cons because that is usually a personal thing.
But, here are some differences.

minis are about an inch shorter than full bodies. the front portion in front of the valve is cut off. this leads to a slightly higher operating pressure vs a full body. the differences are somewhat exaggerated with the earlier bodies because the valve chamber was not as big as say 2k+ spec cockers.
the VASA's are of a slightly different configuration. On mini's,they are mounted to the front block vs being mounted directly to the body. a company called AKA had integrated front blocks/vasa's. this was just an aesthetic thing mainly.
minis will have a shorter timing rod than a full size, this is due to the front portion being chopped off. they are a little harder to find than full size timing rods.
also the pump arm will be shorter as well.
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fish Taco

Dont forget...they aren't any shorter if you're still using the same barrel vs. an autococker. It's only shorter if you measure the pneumatics to the beavertail.
ih8cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Example of an old school Mini Cocker and how small they could be:
Name:  26967_1388201783425_6443243_n.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  75.4 KB

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconquilt View Post
i dont know about pros and cons because that is usually a personal thing.
But, here are some differences.

minis are about an inch shorter than full bodies. the front portion in front of the valve is cut off. this leads to a slightly higher operating pressure vs a full body. the differences are somewhat exaggerated with the earlier bodies because the valve chamber was not as big as say 2k+ spec cockers.
the VASA's are of a slightly different configuration. On mini's,they are mounted to the front block vs being mounted directly to the body. a company called AKA had integrated front blocks/vasa's. this was just an aesthetic thing mainly.
minis will have a shorter timing rod than a full size, this is due to the front portion being chopped off. they are a little harder to find than full size timing rods.
also the pump arm will be shorter as well.
Many front blocks with built in vertical ASAs actually have one huge advantage over the normal minicocker setup. Front blocks like AKAs and the later WGP (like the ones on the Orracle) hold a much larger volume of air plus they don't have the additional choke-point of the vertical ASA screwing into the front block. I have a feeling AKA made their front blocks for this specific reason since the first Revenges seem to have came without them. Im probably totally wrong about that tho.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
makin bacon

i dont know, I think your right. thats a great point.
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
bss

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
Many front blocks with built in vertical ASAs actually have one huge advantage over the normal minicocker setup. Front blocks like AKAs and the later WGP (like the ones on the Orracle) hold a much larger volume of air plus they don't have the additional choke-point of the vertical ASA screwing into the front block. I have a feeling AKA made their front blocks for this specific reason since the first Revenges seem to have came without them. Im probably totally wrong about that tho.
I believe you are correct. All of the earlier mini-cocker I've came across had tuning issues where it would have problems shooting fast. They seem to have air flow issues. The 2K and up mini-cocker works fine.

Automag: Xmag, Karta Emag, Longbow, Q-bow, Tac-One

Tiberius: T4.1, T4, T9, T9.1

Pump: CCM T6.5 Prototype, DSG, Carter Machine, Gargoyle, Phantom
bss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

The Mini Cocker I showed a picture of had Palmer Pnues and ran as fast as I could pull the trigger
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bss View Post
I believe you are correct. All of the earlier mini-cocker I've came across had tuning issues where it would have problems shooting fast. They seem to have air flow issues. The 2K and up mini-cocker works fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
The Mini Cocker I showed a picture of had Palmer Pnues and ran as fast as I could pull the trigger
Funny you mention it, I have one of those too...

I recently built the gun above on a 99 body. I don't have to worry about shootdown because the Palmer LT valve operates around 350psi. I don't even need a LPC. However, my 99 Shocktech SFL couldn't get above 250fps (from the factory btw ) because it has the same setup as the PPS but uses a RAT 3:16 valve which likes to operate closer to 220psi. The flow required at that lower pressure is just too great for a mini'd 99 body.

So it really all comes down to how the minicocker is tuned and what parts are used on it.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP