mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Frunk

Sniper Minicocker, wanna run the C02 tank vertically...

What kind of issues am I looking at, for having a consistant set-up. By that I mean valve and springing wise... I've always been a fan of low pressure internals and what not, but I want some steady fps reading over the chrono. Not sure if I'm using a 12 gram changer, the 4oz. I've got or maybe even a tiny nitrogen bottle vertically.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
I don't know much about cockers but I do know this. If you run unregulated CO2 on a cocker with low pressure internals, there will be too much pressure in the valve for the hammer to open it. So either you'll need high pressure internals, or a reg between the co2 and the gun. Hope this helps.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I set up a pump cocker a while back for direct CO2. It already had the old style valve in it so I went with the recomendations of the MCB fraternity and put the stiffest valve spring from my kit into the valve area and ran a medium hammer spring. I originally set it up using HPA in the shop and it took the IVG to be screwed in quite a bit to get the velocity right. However when I switched to CO2 at the field and chronoed it was shooting OVER 400! ! ! ! I undid the IVG all the way and it came in at around 290. Based on that I'd say older valve, stiff spring and light or medium hammer spring as required to hit the velocity when the IVG is somewhere around the middle of it's adjustment range.

A low pressure valve will be a real bugger to set up for consistency since what you're wanting to do is shift the control away from the varying CO2 pressure acting on a big valve stem area over to a small stem area and control via the springs.

I'm assuming that this is for a pump conversion? You can't really expect a 3.5 or 9 oz to maintain pressure under rapid semi fire. It'll cool off and drop the pressure and your velocity will fall off somewhat. But for pump or strongly limited semi play it can be a nice light setup.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably not safe, since the expansion chamber adaptors are usually aluminum. I'm sure WGP would say to find a different way to hang your tank. When I was there for my training back in the early 90's they said they didnt advise hanging tanks vertically off of Sniper-1's and 2's, or Cockers- which sucks, 'cause I really liked the feel of a vertical 16 oz.

A friend of mine broke off a vertical adaptor off of a Sniper 2 by falling with a 10 oz screwed in, and the bottom of the tank took the brunt of him falling on it. It pulled the threads out of the receiver, and went skittering away...
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfan View Post
Probably not safe, since the expansion chamber adaptors are usually aluminum. I'm sure WGP would say to find a different way to hang your tank. When I was there for my training back in the early 90's they said they didnt advise hanging tanks vertically off of Sniper-1's and 2's, or Cockers- which sucks, 'cause I really liked the feel of a vertical 16 oz.

A friend of mine broke off a vertical adaptor off of a Sniper 2 by falling with a 10 oz screwed in, and the bottom of the tank took the brunt of him falling on it. It pulled the threads out of the receiver, and went skittering away...
I'd say anything 12oz or under would be safe, though...

I mean many pre-99 (more like pre-95) setups were sold with a 7oz, 9oz, or 12oz vertical tank. I'm thinking back to the Thompson Sniper, the ActionPaintball Sniper2, and stuff along those lines.
A.C. Basbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

When you say "Sniper Minicocker" I am going to assume you are turning it into a pump and when you say "running the co2 tank vertically I am assuming you are going with either a WWA kit or a CCM one, since they both have integrated ASA, they are both solid enough to take the weight of a 7oz bottle anything bigger than that is just awkward. 3.5oz or 4 oz tanks are perfect!

as for what kind of springs? if you want to run LP internals you can forget about unregulated CO2, raw CO2 is at least 800psi. getting yourself a small HPA bottle like 13 cubic inches with a preset LP regulator is your only option with LP internals.

MCB Feedback

Last edited by Rayodder; 10-29-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfan View Post

If that's the case, it is kind of surprising that all of their ads and manuals featured vertically mounted bottles up through the late nineties...
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

That's exactly what I was thinking WilD.... bastards

I seriously don't think hanging a tank there would be physical problem.. more a pnuematics/pressure problem.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
I seriously don't think hanging a tank there would be physical problem.. more a pnuematics/pressure problem.
I've been running vert tanks on nearly all my guns for 15 or so years.

Never had a single one break... BUT... I'm too old and fat for "superman dives".

However, I have heard of vert Minicocker adapters snapping.
They did not come with vert ASAs. But people would use 1/8" brass adapters, which were not strong enough.

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know WGP advertised them that way. When I was there I mentioned I ran a vertical tank and either Bud or Charlie said "Uh, we really don't recommend running your tank that way"

Not that WGP didnt talk out of both sides of their mouth. After reading some of the threads it's hard to believe how far they've fallen.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP