mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
here is an old pic of it from right after i made it a few years back, back when i still had the slider frame on it. should give an idea of how the body is set up.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n..._1288065_n.jpg
Can I get a close up picture of this breach? It looks like part of it is going past the bolt o-ring. But then again it's hard to tell in the picture because it's not that big and I can only zoom in so much.

I would also have to agree with most of the other members on the fact that it seems like you're not getting enough air per shot. I would be surprised if it is because the fittings are too small. If this truly is a bolt action it shouldn't matter if the fittings are small or not you should have enough air in front of the valve to get at least one good shot over the chrono. If your CP reg is bad then it could be over pressurizing the valve causing it to shut prematurely too.

I'd continue doing what you said you were going to do. Swap the CP reg with a known good reg from another gun and see what happens. Also try to sweet-spot the reg again. Different valves call for different pressures my Belsales valve runs at 350 psi, my Trilogy valve runs at 200 PSI.

My question for you is when you say you change out the springs do you just change the main spring or do you change both the valve spring and the main spring? Also are you putting oil or some kind of lube on the striker? if the striker is catching on the way it may slow it down enough to give you some velocity issues.

If all of this checks good then the only other thing I could think of is a bad seal around the bolt. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. I know of plenty of guys that run a o-ringless bolt on their cocker with only a slight loss in efficiency. Or another issue that I sometimes see in pumps with light return springs is that the bolt gets pushed back when you fire cutting off some of your air supply and killing your FPS. Does your bolt lock forward like on traditional bolt actions? If not what keeps it forward?

Also if you have a hole in the bottom of your valve for the set screw you should try taking out said set screw and seeing if the bolt lines up with the holes in the valve and body. Assuming you haven't changed anything with this it shouldn't matter, but it can't hurt to verify nothing has changed.

I really think the true issue has to deal with the valve not being open long enough.
2KZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

there is a lot going on here, i answered in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZX2 View Post
Can I get a close up picture of this breach? It looks like part of it is going past the bolt o-ring. But then again it's hard to tell in the picture because it's not that big and I can only zoom in so much.

the bolt o-ring is actually just behind the cut in the body. just far enough back that it doesnt leak much if any air.

I would also have to agree with most of the other members on the fact that it seems like you're not getting enough air per shot. I would be surprised if it is because the fittings are too small. If this truly is a bolt action it shouldn't matter if the fittings are small or not you should have enough air in front of the valve to get at least one good shot over the chrono. If your CP reg is bad then it could be over pressurizing the valve causing it to shut prematurely too.

i thought about this, unfortunately, i was busy over the weekend and didnt have time to mess with any of my paintball gear. that is one of the first things i am going to try as soon as i have time.

I'd continue doing what you said you were going to do. Swap the CP reg with a known good reg from another gun and see what happens. Also try to sweet-spot the reg again. Different valves call for different pressures my Belsales valve runs at 350 psi, my Trilogy valve runs at 200 PSI.

My question for you is when you say you change out the springs do you just change the main spring or do you change both the valve spring and the main spring? Also are you putting oil or some kind of lube on the striker? if the striker is catching on the way it may slow it down enough to give you some velocity issues.

i have a madman spring kit or 4, lol. i changed jst the hammer spring, just the valve spring, both springs, etc... no appreciable difference. next step is to make sure everything is cleaned and lubed and there are no scratches or burrs on the metal bits.

If all of this checks good then the only other thing I could think of is a bad seal around the bolt. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. I know of plenty of guys that run a o-ringless bolt on their cocker with only a slight loss in efficiency. Or another issue that I sometimes see in pumps with light return springs is that the bolt gets pushed back when you fire cutting off some of your air supply and killing your FPS. Does your bolt lock forward like on traditional bolt actions? If not what keeps it forward?

the bolt is locked forward by the bolt lever and surround piece. i have a guide cut into the metal for the lever.

Also if you have a hole in the bottom of your valve for the set screw you should try taking out said set screw and seeing if the bolt lines up with the holes in the valve and body. Assuming you haven't changed anything with this it shouldn't matter, but it can't hurt to verify nothing has changed.

the valve in the marker only has one outlet hole in the top of it, not two like the stock valve. there is a groove in the bottom for the set screw. i made sure it was in correctly.

I really think the true issue has to deal with the valve not being open long enough.

you might be on to something there. ill definitely look into it as soon as i can.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

Resweetspot the reg like others have said. Could be too much pressure keeping the valve closed.
Mr.Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dirt View Post
Resweetspot the reg like others have said. Could be too much pressure keeping the valve closed.
that is what i am starting to think. i might be able to mess with it a bit this weekend, but i have to see how things look. im not going to the field since it is going to be pouring rain all weekend, i hate the rain.. lol .
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP