mcarterbrown.com  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
t3rd_hugg3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mt. Vernon, IL

99' Cocker and straight co2

I am currently looking to buy a 99' RF Cocker body with internals. I want to know if I can use a 3.5 or 4 oz co2 without a reg. Will I need different springs?
__________________
t3rd_hugg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Milky Spore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Springfield, MA.
Send a message via AIM to Milky Spore

Re-springing would be a good idea, although I was cycling my 99' with a 20oz. screwed into the VA at my friend's today.
Milky Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Mindless_Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: JeRsEy
Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

I wouldn't use a reg on CO2. It will freeze up. If there isn't a reg on it, chanced are it was already set up to use CO2. Try it out with CO2, see how it shoots. You will have to chrono it. I mean, I had my black magic running on co2 last year in summer. Had to send my hpa to get hydo tested. I was expecting it back sooner then I got it, and a game day came up. I had to play. So I played with my marker to get it to work on CO2. I didn't have to change the spring. I just had to turn the REG way up. Like 600 psi and the LPR way up too. I didn't have the MQ valve yet too.

This was over all a bad Idea, because the reg froze up a few times, and destroyed the seals. I had to get a rebuild kit, which was no biggie, but thats why I wouldn't use a reg with CO2
__________________
In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason.
-Ernest Hemingway

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Smithville, Ontario

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
I wouldn't use a reg on CO2. It will freeze up. If there isn't a reg on it, chanced are it was already set up to use CO2. Try it out with CO2, see how it shoots. You will have to chrono it. I mean, I had my black magic running on co2 last year in summer. Had to send my hpa to get hydo tested. I was expecting it back sooner then I got it, and a game day came up. I had to play. So I played with my marker to get it to work on CO2. I didn't have to change the spring. I just had to turn the REG way up. Like 600 psi and the LPR way up too. I didn't have the MQ valve yet too.

This was over all a bad Idea, because the reg froze up a few times, and destroyed the seals. I had to get a rebuild kit, which was no biggie, but thats why I wouldn't use a reg with CO2
A reg is fine on CO2, but anti-siphon is a MUST. I've run my Sidewinder on A/S before, and it worked fine.

Assuming that the valve is stock in your 99, it will work fine on unregged CO2 - what most people want is the older valve, with the smaller orifices, so they can run a 12 gram setup more efficiently.

Just make sure you don't get liquid into the gun, and you should be set.

Jordan

Jordan
__________________
Please Leave Me Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Mindless_Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: JeRsEy
Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

My reg froze up when I used anti siphon. It didn't freeze completely but it was enough to damage the seals. It was cold that day, could have something to do with it. But I still wouldn't use co2 on a reg.
__________________
In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason.
-Ernest Hemingway

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ghost with the most
 
Phantom Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pender Island, BC
Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Depends on what regulator you're using. I've used a stabilizer with a siphon tank and it didn't damage anything. I run several PPS Stabs, an ANS Gen-X II, a few old WGP inlines, and an Air America Unireg on CO2 without issues.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Smithville, Ontario

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
It was cold that day, could have something to do with it. But I still wouldn't use co2 on a reg.
Yup.

Like Phantom Power said, depends on the reg. I wouldn't NOT use Co2 on a reg. A/S, regged CO2 works great for me. I don't shoot terribly fast, so it's perfect, and the cost is much less than that of HPA.

Having said that, unregged CO2 can work great as long as the obvious is taken into effect - the faster you shoot, the longer it takes for the CO2 to turn into a gas, so you will experience shootdown/velocity swings. Respringing with a stiff valve-spring allows you to control those swings in a limited way, by limiting the valve dwell.

Jordan
__________________
Please Leave Me Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC