mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

99' Cocker and straight co2

I am currently looking to buy a 99' RF Cocker body with internals. I want to know if I can use a 3.5 or 4 oz co2 without a reg. Will I need different springs?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Milky Spore

Re-springing would be a good idea, although I was cycling my 99' with a 20oz. screwed into the VA at my friend's today.
Milky Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

I wouldn't use a reg on CO2. It will freeze up. If there isn't a reg on it, chanced are it was already set up to use CO2. Try it out with CO2, see how it shoots. You will have to chrono it. I mean, I had my black magic running on co2 last year in summer. Had to send my hpa to get hydo tested. I was expecting it back sooner then I got it, and a game day came up. I had to play. So I played with my marker to get it to work on CO2. I didn't have to change the spring. I just had to turn the REG way up. Like 600 psi and the LPR way up too. I didn't have the MQ valve yet too.

This was over all a bad Idea, because the reg froze up a few times, and destroyed the seals. I had to get a rebuild kit, which was no biggie, but thats why I wouldn't use a reg with CO2

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
I wouldn't use a reg on CO2. It will freeze up. If there isn't a reg on it, chanced are it was already set up to use CO2. Try it out with CO2, see how it shoots. You will have to chrono it. I mean, I had my black magic running on co2 last year in summer. Had to send my hpa to get hydo tested. I was expecting it back sooner then I got it, and a game day came up. I had to play. So I played with my marker to get it to work on CO2. I didn't have to change the spring. I just had to turn the REG way up. Like 600 psi and the LPR way up too. I didn't have the MQ valve yet too.

This was over all a bad Idea, because the reg froze up a few times, and destroyed the seals. I had to get a rebuild kit, which was no biggie, but thats why I wouldn't use a reg with CO2
A reg is fine on CO2, but anti-siphon is a MUST. I've run my Sidewinder on A/S before, and it worked fine.

Assuming that the valve is stock in your 99, it will work fine on unregged CO2 - what most people want is the older valve, with the smaller orifices, so they can run a 12 gram setup more efficiently.

Just make sure you don't get liquid into the gun, and you should be set.

Jordan

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

My reg froze up when I used anti siphon. It didn't freeze completely but it was enough to damage the seals. It was cold that day, could have something to do with it. But I still wouldn't use co2 on a reg.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Depends on what regulator you're using. I've used a stabilizer with a siphon tank and it didn't damage anything. I run several PPS Stabs, an ANS Gen-X II, a few old WGP inlines, and an Air America Unireg on CO2 without issues.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
It was cold that day, could have something to do with it. But I still wouldn't use co2 on a reg.
Yup.

Like Phantom Power said, depends on the reg. I wouldn't NOT use Co2 on a reg. A/S, regged CO2 works great for me. I don't shoot terribly fast, so it's perfect, and the cost is much less than that of HPA.

Having said that, unregged CO2 can work great as long as the obvious is taken into effect - the faster you shoot, the longer it takes for the CO2 to turn into a gas, so you will experience shootdown/velocity swings. Respringing with a stiff valve-spring allows you to control those swings in a limited way, by limiting the valve dwell.

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP