mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Can't get the velocity up on a 1999 'Cocker.

I've had this thing for a bit more than a year, bought it in poor shape (looked like it had never been cleaned) and refurbished it (new o-rings and springs for the reg and marker).
Everything is stock on it.
At best it will lob balls a few feet, at worst they don't even leave the barrel.
I've tried everything I can think of to get the velocity up.
-Bolt is the right way up
-pressure toyed with (reg adjustment both all the way in, all the way out and in the middle of the range w/o much change) and yes I'm aware that the adjuster screw of the stock reg works in reverse of most other regs.
-I tried the old springs that came with the marker as well as the new ones the WGP sent in the parts kit - no change.

Any ideas?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

First thing I would do is try a different HPR (or none at all) to rule out a reg issue.

Another thought is a bolt issue. If the back block or bolt has been swapped, the air passage might not be in the right spot.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

What kind of HPR are you using? Is it externally adjustably?

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

HPR is the stock internally adjustable WGP one, the black one you have to unscrew the bottom cap from to access the velocity adjuster.
It does appear to be working to some extent (if I screw the adjuster in all the way the maker will barely cycle, if I screw it out half to most of the way it cycles fine & there is a loud "pop" when it fires.
Good idea to try removing - I'll put my 3.5oz in it's place & see what happens.

Good point on the bolt as well. I'll check that the holes line up.

I remember a thread a while ago about a change in springing between Sheridan & Nelson springs but I'm not %100 sure it was for cockers or not or what year the change was done.
The spring that were in this one & the ones that came from WGP definitely don't look like the springs in my PGP or Piranha LB so I assume they are Nelson springs - is this correct for a 1999 model?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

They changed out springs in 1997 I believe, so these would be nelsons.

Just to clarify, it is cycling fine, but will not fire properly?

It sounds somewhat strange that the inline reg would allow for such low pressures that the pneumatics will not work properly. I don't think stock WGP inline regs are supposed to go so low. This leads me to believe it is somehow set for extremely low pressures, which is a bit weird... Some more info on what type of cocker this is would definitely help. Perhaps you could try a very light valve spring and slightly heavier main spring? This should increase the dwell, and allow it to fire, even at very low pressures...

Either way, some more info on your cocker would be nice!

Last edited by P4p3Rc1iP; 04-06-2008 at 05:25 PM.
P4p3Rc1iP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Just to clarify, it is cycling fine, but will not fire properly?

It sounds somewhat strange that the inline reg would allow for such low pressures that the pneumatics will not work properly. I don't think stock WGP inline regs are supposed to go so low. This leads me to believe it is somehow set for extremely low pressures, which is a bit weird...
It is cycling fine and there is a good sounding "pop" when it fires.
With the adjuster screwed all the way in (I tried putting the adjuster through it's full range of operation to rule out a badly adjusted reg) it lowers the pressure to the point it won't cycle. I gave this info to show that the reg does seem to be doing something & the adjuster does work. I will try putting a constant air source direct marker instead of the reg though just to rule out a problem with the reg.

Quote:
Some more info on what type of cocker this is would definitely help. Perhaps you could try a very light valve spring and slightly heavier main spring? This should increase the dwell, and allow it to fire, even at very low pressures...

Either way, some more info on your cocker would be nice!
It's a stock 1999 WGP cocker. Right feed, brass pneumatics, black anodized body, stock barrel, stock reg, stock valve (brass). I think the only non stock thing is a Jackhammer LPR but that wouldn't affect the velocity.
One of these basically:

I don't have a spring kit but I'd have hoped that the stock springs that WGP provided would have allowed at least enough air to get the ball further than 3 feet, If I wanted to run LP or optimize the efficiency I can understand the need for a spring kit but not just to get the thing working.

Last edited by Surestick; 04-06-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Surestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Have you tried removing the reg and running a bottle directly off of the V/A?

Also, if you've removed the valve, you have it in correctly, right? I'm assuming you did, since you could tell it's brass. Also, if the mainspring is binding, you may have velocity problems. Check to make sure your IVG can thread in all the way - sometimes the rear frame screw is too long and can interfere with the hammer spring.

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Honestly, I think you are overpressuring it - or perhaps under pressuring it.

I would get a high pressure tank - a variable pressure regulator. Take the pressure from say 200 psi all the way up to 850. See if there is a high point. If you cannot get it anywhere near 300 FPS with this method - you most likely have a spring issue.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
I haven't had time to try any of the suggested troubleshooting yet. Hopefully during the course of the week.
I'll keep you guys updated.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP