mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
AKA "straight" pump rod and other questions

I've got a straight pump rod for a fullsize Cocker, and I now have a Minicocker. How hard would it be to cut down and rethread the rod? Anyone know what it's made of? I haven't seen any like it for a long time, let alone a Mini-sized one.

Am I safe to assume that a LPC will help me out with the Mini as well? I plan to run unregged CO2 during the summer months, unsure of whether the extra volume will screw with the gun. I'm not running 12 grams, just an A/S tank.

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most pump rods are made of stainless or hardened steel with very few made of aluminum (and not worth having in my opinion). Some have even been made of titanium. AKA made theirs from stainless, and it won't be a simple cut and thread job with the tap/die set from the hardware store. If you are wanting to do it right, take it to a machine shop where they can cut the threads on a lathe.

What year is your minicocker? The pre-98 models had a very small valve chamber and benefited to some extent from an LP Chamber when using CO2. The 1998-1999 models had larger chambers, and they increased the volume post 2k, making them almost obsolete except on extremely low pressure applications.

To be honest, if it's a pre-98 model with the small chamber, and you're planning on running unregulated CO2, you will have better efficiency without the LP Chamber up front. Being that it's a Cocker and not a Sniper, you may find it necessary to keep from starving it during rapid and sustained fire.

Anonym
Old 04-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Not really the efficiency I'm worried about, more the consistency.

I'm not sure what year the Mini is, but its serial number is 3904. I'm guessing it's a newer one.

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

Old 04-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Got any pics?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

It is a pretty easy thing to do to cut the rod to mini length and thread it again. If you dont have a friend with good dies and tools to help you do it right, you may want to simply buy a mini pump arm from compulsivepaintball or akalmp.com and sell yours used. You will only lose a few bucks and save a headache and maybe a pump arm.

Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
It is a pretty easy thing to do to cut the rod to mini length and thread it again. If you dont have a friend with good dies and tools to help you do it right, you may want to simply buy a mini pump arm from compulsivepaintball or akalmp.com and sell yours used. You will only lose a few bucks and save a headache and maybe a pump arm.

Just a thought.
I'm a pretty capable guy with dies and taps, I figured I could do it. Just wasn't sure how hard it was going to be, and if it was worth it. Can I still get those pump arms?

Jordan

Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Sorry to thread jump... but Jordan I got the pump rod and trigger actuator...

Thank you very much.. now to fix some leaks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Schmitti - glad to hear that.

Jordan

Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
I did it. I used a dremel to put the rod and round the edges. Then I used the die to thread the rod. But a die set costs more than a new mini sized AKA pump arm. You might be able to fine an individual die but I bet it would cost about half the price of a new rod.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
I did it. I used a dremel to put the rod and round the edges. Then I used the die to thread the rod. But a die set costs more than a new mini sized AKA pump arm. You might be able to fine an individual die but I bet it would cost about half the price of a new rod.
I've got a die set - I'm betting I've got the one I need. They're a 10-32, are they not?

Jordan

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP