mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Autocockers are FINE guns. I love them. And as the price range of those guns are now-a-days, you really can't go wrong.

Stay mechanical, and you'll get a great gun for a steal!!!

Don't worry too much about swing triggers, and front blocks, etc, etc. Find something that looks good to you, and you're going to enjoy looking at and using.

Single trigger or double trigger? Me... I prefer single, but that's me.

Blazers are nice, but twice the money that some of the autocockers go for right now. AND there are a TON of aftermarket parts if you come to find out that, that is the gun for you.

Everyone has their opinion, and if you gave me the choice of a blazer or an autococker, then yes, I would take the Blazer... But you need to assess your situation, etc.

But the Autococker is still my all time favorite gun. I still have my original one I purchased back in 1992.

CB
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Personally I'd go with either a Blazer,a Tippmann A5 or an Ion.Mag's don't really get along to well with me and cockers are cool,but,can be a nightmare if you don't know what you're doing.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Plus, living in Portugal, and having to ship it here could be a real problem.
I've been reading through a few reviews and info on the Blazer, and it looks awesome...
The reason I was considering the cocker is the price/quality ratio i think they have, but now with the new x7... More choices, just make me go wild...
I've just seen the prices on the new x7 and it looks really competitive. It's still too early to see how good it really is.
On the other side I admit the whole thing with the tubes coming out of the front of the cockers really seem finicky. Im used to a VM!
In your opinion, and for the use I'm putting it through which seems to be the cocker that you would recommend? The model that you think that has all the stuff i'll ever need, and it's not worth to choose anything above?

Thanks
Martelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martelo View Post
Hi,

I dont want a marker that can spit 200 balls a second. I like accuracy, easy maintenance and long range. Also it has to be reliable. Not quite sure if going for a electronic marker is my kinda thing.
I dont know if such a marker exists or not, but the cockers have been around for so long...
Plus, i can use some of its barrels on my VM.
i must say, my proto matrix 6 (that shoots 200 balls a second apparently ) is way easier to maintain than an autococker, and electric markers arent any harder to maintaint than mechanical, less actually because there are more moving parts in a mechanical marker, the most i have to do to my pm6 is lube it and change the battery every once and awile, then again you arent looking for an expensive highend are you?
if you want reliablilty and easy maintnace, tippman 98 custom. period.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

No I dont want any highend models. I was looking in between the Prostock 2005 and the Trilogy Pro.
But i must admit the blazer made me count my pennies.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

If it's a choice between those two, I'd say the Prostock. However, I'd suggest cruising Ebay and picking up a used one. There are some very nice used custom cockers (Evolutions, Freeflows etc.) out there for great prices, which will be much higher quality than the stuff WGP (or K2 or whatever) is putting out these days.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I've been looking for a good deal on ebay but the problem is customs.
Above the Prostock, do you think there's any model that's worth the effort of buying the more expensive one?
Any really useful piece of technology, not the usual BS you read on the catalogs...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

The difference in the higher end stock WGP models is almost entirely cosmetic (and they have e-blade frames on them).
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dstud2000 Send a message via MSN to dstud2000 Send a message via Yahoo to dstud2000

If you want a gun that will take your son for a long time and not need anything more than a rinse off and a few drops of oil, then it is the Blazer all the way. About the only mechanical gun on the market I can think of, next to an RT MAg, that keeps the electro carrying players really on their toes when they find out who is using the marker. Personally, when I get together to play, I like to keep the guys with the Blazers on my side, because they are dang accurate. That being said the Blazer is Palmers production gun, but they will customize it to your hearts content, there are many options available to choose from.

I myself, I do have a cocker, but I also have a Palmer Typhoon (unless you got some spare money to spend do not worry about these, the predeccesor to the Blazer is what it is) With the cocker, sure you got your choice of whatever aftermarket parts you want for it, I like mine, and it works great, and working on cocker isn't too hard if you know how to read directions. With my Palmer semi though, as with the Blazer it basically already has the best parts on it with no need or want to upgrade.

So myself it comes down to do I want to tinker with it and put different aftermarket parts on it or do I want a gun that will live up to my expectation just by opening the box and using it as it came.

If you go the cocker route though, an upper end used model is definitely the way to go now a days. It is a buyers market right now for those interested in a cocker.

I hope you find this informative, if I seem a little biased, sorry for that, I just love my Palmer products, but my Cocker is still great too. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I'll say something that I don't think anybody here has mentioned yet. If you are willing to buy used, you can get an Autococker that cost $1000 (or more) a few years ago for around $300 now. It is these older cockers that are the real gems.

That aside, those that mentioned the higher maintenance that cockers need are speaking the truth. It is a marker you will need to tinker with once in a while. An autococker was the first semi that I purchased new as a teenager, and the relationship did not go well at first and I sometimes wished I had kept my Tippmann at the time (this was back in 1995). But, once you are accustomed to their wants and needs they make excellent markers.

Edit: I see dstud2000 mentioned the market for older high-end cockers right above me. Also, for clarification, I don't want to disuade anyone for trying a cocker. I am basically a cocker man myself, I own two of them as well as a PPS Typhoon.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP