mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sealing the barb threads?

OK so I got a super good deal on my THIRD Superbolt and I'm trying to get it running. It's leading me a very merry chase though. The latest issue is that my 3way is now leaking from one of the barbs. Last night it was leaking out the front and I replaced the Orings (yes they were badly cut and "chipped" by the holes) and out of the blue I now have a leaky barb.

So what should I seal it with? I've got some silicone gasket sealer that I'm tempted to use by unscrewing the barb and buttering up the threads with sealer but I thought I'd check with the experts first.

This is one where I thought I got a SCREAMING good deal. I got the gun, a Lapco barrel and a reg for $50 US so I can't complain at all. But I figured I'd pretty much stolen candy from a baby until I tried to get it running. First off the LPR needed rebuilding. The PB LPR uses a schreader valve insert from a tire so that was easy since I've got dozens of bicycle tubes here. But the leaky LPR had allowed the full pressure through to the 3way and ram and that cut the snot out of the Orings in the 3 way since they herniated into the tiny holes and got cut off.... Hmmmm.... I wonder where those rubber bits went..... GREAT! something else to wonder and worry about.... Anyhow so I replace the 3 way rings and now it's OK from there. But suddenly the darn barb is leaking.... stupid steam engines stuck on paintball guns....grumble, grumble.

But I'm OK now because when I came in fuming and before I typed this I gassed up one of my Piranha blowbacks and it worked flawlessly with no fuss and no muss. So I ungassed it, gave 'er a hug with a sigh and turned out the lights to come in and type out this rant....

The darn thing is that this thing is sexy enough that I want to get it going well. It's got an ANS single finger trigger frame..... A SWEET product. get one if you want a single..... and a nice CMI on-off with no drop. Here's a pic of it before I added the translucent smoke and milky Smart Parts grip to it.

miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have use teflon tape on barbs before. Caution though taping the barbs can really test your patience.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to grande

Divide the teflon tape strip into 1/4th from its original size and give it a go. Has workd for me
grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Loctite 222MS. It's the "adjustable" strength purple stuff that's used for setscrews to stop them from backing out on their own, but still allowing you to adjust them. It also seals up threads so they're airtight. I use it all the time, on just about every one of my guns.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
Loctite 222MS.....
I like this better than the tape option. These are really, really, really tiny barbs with only about 2 to 3 mm of threading. So just wetting the threads with a sealer is far safer in this case.

I'll have to see if I can pickup some at the Lordco tomorrow on the way home.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
JKW

We use Loctite 545 of Intimidator barbs. The 545 is hydraulic/pneumatic thread sealant and is made for this application. The only problem is that the smallest size bottle is 27.00 or so and is way more than the occasional repair or tune will ever require you to have on hand.
JKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I prefer loctite for applications such as barbs, detentes and other small accessories. As for the gun... I'm jealous. Where'd you snag that one from? I have the exact same trigger frame on my halfblock Superbolt and I really love it.

From what I've heard, the Psychoballistic LPRs are crap. I don't know if you have some special workbench magic spell you can throw over them, but I'd be wary of using them. Then again, I've never had firsthand experience with them...

Last edited by russc; 12-13-2006 at 10:22 AM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, it didn't COME with the ANS frame or the on-off. That came in a different shipment that I picked up on the same day.

And FWIW if anyone here is looking for a VERY NICE single trigger frame I can heartily recomend the ANS one. It makes the WGP one look like crud. The ANS has a couple of brass tipped setscrews that come up from the base to support the lower run of the trigger and allows you to totally eliminate any slop. Add to that the side to side slop is about half what the WGP has as well.

ANS is quality stuff.

I found out why the PB LPR is crap. The body is just a holder for a spring and piston that actuates a bicycle inner tube schreader vavle core. This core screws into the base of the LPR and a stem off the piston pushes down on the little tit on the vavle core to open it. Super simple but something managed to bend the one that came with it. And I think it was the piston itself. The piston isn't very long and so the stem can wander around and I think that's what bent it in the first place.

A piston with a longer skirt or some sort of guide at the base to guide the stem pusher and perhaps limit the travel on it would help a lot. I suspect the rep for these is totally based on the piston and pusher bending the delicate core tits and causing it to free flow.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you go to a hydraulic supply house, they usually carry a brown thread sealer that Loctite markets. It looks like thick brown loctite, and its WAY easier to deal with than teflon tape for any application. Its the hot setup for the nipple threads, though.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Dabbed a bit of Permatex gasket maker on the threads yesterday and gassed it up tonight.... blessed silence ....

I'd also replaced the original PB LPR with a CCM unit that came with my second Superbolt that's currently morphing into a pump sniper. The ram seems to move with a lot more snap now and it's a joy to fire and cycle. Very snappy now.

It's currently today's favourite marker out of my collection. As such it gets to sleep on my pillow with me tonight rather than in the closet with the rest...

PS: almost forgot the new piccie...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP