mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Problem with my superbolt...

I get out to the field yesterday and get ready. I air up my Psychoballistics superbolt and chrono. Shoot it about 5 feet. I try again and it goes the same. I then pointed the gun at the ground for a few seconds and bring it up and fire and it shot great for one or two shots and then drops off again. It will also shoot right when pointed up in the air. I have a good paint to barrel match and my tank had 3000 psi in it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Feedback
Lunchbox387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Your 3 way is going off before your sear so it's actually acting like an open bolt gun. You gotta time it to be later in the pull or time the sear to a shorter pull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Is this a new marker or was it working just fine before this?
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

It was working fine until yesterday. I used it 3-4 times before.

Feedback
Old 01-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

In that case you need to do a few things on it. I found that my three superbolts all came more or less loosely assembled for convienience. They all needed some minor work to lock it all down.

The hammer lug needs more drag on the lug screw. Left to it's own it'll creep so Murph's suggestion may well be what is going on. You need to strip out the hammer. Once you do you'll find two locking set screws and the lug screw. Remove the setscrew that locks the lug screw and drop in a small bit of crushable plastic. You're looking for something like the plastic used on tupperware containers or the caps to milk jugs. Try to get a bit that's as thick as you can and then cut it down so you can drop it into the setscrew hole. Now tighten down the locking setscrew until you can still move the lug screw for adjustments but it's quite stiff. You can try doing the same thing for the cocking rod but that piece needs to go in and out often enough that it's way too likely that the bit of plastic will just fall out. But if you can fit in a piece that's sized really accuratley it'll squish out and lock itself into the threads. Try it a few times before you re-install the hammer.

The other thing I don't like is the exposed pressure adjuster on the LPR. It's just too easy to accidentally change the pressure on it through normal handling by just rubbing it the wrong way. You may have bumped it here and there and it's now set too low to recock OK. Once you have it set just right a wrap of electrical tape to lock it would not be a bad idea.

On mine that I left the double finger trigger on I also found that I was able to time it and set the trigger pull short enough that the stock setscrews that limit the swing were too short and fell out of the frame. I ended up getting some 1/2 inch long 10-32 setscrews and now I've got a far better fit and no further problems.

With a bit of playing you can have a safe timing that only needs the trigger to swing about 1/4 to 5/16 inch at the end of the trigger. As they came stock it was more like 1/2 inch. You can see some pics of what I did to mine in my thread ... Psycho Ballistics Superbolt gets some lovin'

Last edited by Railgun; 01-01-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im thinking the valve is bad. I aired it up last week and it had a small leak, so i put some oil in the asa and aired it up. The small leak went to a huge leak so i have it all disassembled now and debating what im going to do with it.

Feedback
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

you might just need a new set of o-rings, mine was leaky after a couple of weeks and i changed out all of the o-rings and it works just fine now. but if not u may need a new cup seal
cockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox387 View Post
Im thinking the valve is bad. I aired it up last week and it had a small leak, so i put some oil in the asa and aired it up. The small leak went to a huge leak so i have it all disassembled now and debating what im going to do with it.
Well, if it's too much for you to deal with you can button it all up and send it to me so it's out of your hair. And just to show that I like to help out my fellow MCB'ers I'll even send you the shipping costs..... No, no! No need to thank me....

"THEY" say that PB components were not the best but I just don't see how much can go wrong with a simple cup seal. I'm voting O rings as the culprit.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Nothing can go wrong eh? I've got my Superbolt's valve yanked and sitting on a shelf right now! The actual valve stem has bent, the actual seal is mostly a cheap plastic, and the damn thing gets stuck in my gun. The valve body is fine - but I don't have the tools to make a decent stem for it. Everything's wrong with that thing.

But on the other hand, you may have inline reg problems. If it's starving the valve, you'd get low velocity and leaks once it dips enough.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

OK, so let me put a little salt on the feathers before I eat that crow, OK?

Russ, you got a PM waiting....

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP