mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   What Is It? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/what/)
-   -   Common markers in 1995? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/what/212453-common-markers-1995-a.html)

gijoey959 09-01-2012 01:55 PM

Common markers in 1995?

Hey everyone, I'm new here, so I wasn't so sure about where to put this thread

I was wondering what markers were common in 1995 among tournament players? My little brother's birthday is coming up and I thought it would be cool to get him a marker from his birth year. Good idea, by the way?

Thanks

HP_Lovecraft 09-01-2012 02:38 PM

Cockers ruled the tournament scene in 1995 among the pros. At the amatuer level, mags were still the most common, though rapidly falling out of favor.

However, since both are still around today... they may not represent 1995 very well.

The 3rd most popular tournament gun were the Montneels, especially on the east coast. Other popular guns from around 1995 were the ICD Pumas/Alleycats/etc, and Vectors. Lots of Strokers and TS1s around as well.

You also had tons of crappy guns. LIke the Eliminator, or BE Poison/Stingray. Spyders had just came out.

However, I think the SOveriegn, and Blazer were not out yet.

Titus 09-01-2012 03:03 PM

Hey Hey now...don't knock on the BE Poisons. Nothing like the sound of kaTANG kaTANG every time it fires.

Those are pretty cool markers.

pbalien73 09-01-2012 03:22 PM

Cockers and mags were both at the top in the tournament field. I remember buying both on my first visa card at 18.

PBpancake 09-01-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalien73 (Post 2462079)
Cockers and mags were both at the top in the tournament field. I remember buying both on my first visa card at 18.

That must have run you around 1500 dollars!

Washington reign 09-01-2012 07:17 PM

Don 't forget the illustraters! the F-1 was still being played with quite a bit back then

gijoey959 09-01-2012 10:30 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess this means I'm going to have to learn how to tune, and maintain a cocker, but that should actually be a lot of fun.

Are cockers from this time period hard to find? Any specific cocker a great example? I really do appreciate the replies, this is a lot more info than I thought I'd get on the first day

I would go with the ICD and Montneels, but he has a thing against markers like those for some reason, he is turning 18, so I guess they're not cool enough :P I will probably pick something like those up for myself though, I love semi's

pbalien73 09-02-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBpancake (Post 2462173)
That must have run you around 1500 dollars!

Actually about $900 for both, I sprung for the new mini- mag like oh pawlak was using. I bought the cocker stock from I & I sports, lug broke off on my second game. I remember using the schools brand new 28.8 modem to get directions on-line to drill and tap for the ball detent which they didn't come with.

pbalien73 09-02-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoey959 (Post 2462434)
Thanks for the replies guys! I guess this means I'm going to have to learn how to tune, and maintain a cocker, but that should actually be a lot of fun.

Are cockers from this time period hard to find? Any specific cocker a great example? I really do appreciate the replies, this is a lot more info than I thought I'd get on the first day

I would go with the ICD and Montneels, but he has a thing against markers like those for some reason, he is turning 18, so I guess they're not cool enough :P I will probably pick something like those up for myself though, I love semi's

Cockers of the time were basically sold as a base to build your own. Any big game I went to had no two cockers that looked the same. That was part of the appeal for me.

punisher068 09-02-2012 12:58 PM

My 1st tourney gun in 95 was a PTP Micromag,used it untill 2005ish,donated it to my friend who still uses mags