mcarterbrown.com  

The Yard Sale If it is non-paintball related, then you should drop her off at our Yard Sale. Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean someone else might not want it.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Wanted - Decent Laptop.

I am interested in a good laptop, probably a PC because i wont pay the "mactop premium"

I am particularly interested in anything relatively current that has a NIPPLE on it. Examples are any IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad and the Compaq EVO n610c and other evo models.

I will pay up to 700 dollars, 700 dollars would have to be something almost current though, im not looking to get screwed here.

Lenovo, IBM, and Compaq evo's are my prize but i really dont care.

Let me know what you have.

Only TRUE specification is that I dont want a tote top, if the thing is 3 inches thick it does me no good Thanks.

I was asked about "power requirements" anything similar to a pentium M is fine, 1.66 ghz or whatever those run at and up. When they started to say centrino that is pretty much good news. AMD processors are great too.

Last edited by Cunha; 05-30-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

They have been saying "Centrino" since the pentium 2's(or 3's, don't remember) but that certainly ISN'T that good of a sign.

EDIT: NVM, sorry i was tired.

Last edited by pizzaluvr; 06-13-2007 at 07:58 AM.
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think they started the Centrino thing with the P4, before that it was called "mobile". Are you thinking of Celeron? Celeron is crap.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Oh crap, sorry

I was tire, it was 4:30 in the morning. That is not one of my most brain-y times of the day.

It still doesn't mean it's great. It is like the Viiv thingy, where they just have to have certain things, and in this case it is Intel based products.

2006 models
Quote:
The platform consists of:

* an Intel Core Solo, Core Duo (code-named Yonah) or Core 2 Duo (code-named Merom; for Napa Refresh) processor with a 667 MT/s FSB, and
* an Intel Mobile 945 Express-series chipset (code-named Calistoga with Intel's GMA 950), including ICH7M southbridge, and
* the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter (code-named Golan).
* Some newer models (as of quarter 1 2007) of the Napa platform contain the newer 4965AGN (a/b/g/draft-n) wireless cards.
* RAM supported for DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 SODIMM.
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

New core 2 duos have 800 mhz FSB.

Il try and get one fore free from the department of rehab. Laptops are a ripoff.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm an Intel Product Dealer, so I can offer authority on the Centrino thing. Centrino does not refer to a specific processor but a platform. Centrino labeling requires a Pentium M processor, Intel power management based system board and Intel wireless technology via system board daughter card. So, since nearly all notebooks that are Pentium M based will have those other components, basically all Pentium M notebooks are Centrino labeled. It was a marketing thing, in essence to push the Intel platform rather than just the CPU.
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks Lrrpie.

I only knew that Centrino labeled laptops are generally modern enough for me to consider them acceptable.

Thanks for the refinement of my mental definition of what centrino was. I mostly just figured it was an intel system with a built in wireless card.

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » The Yard Sale