mcarterbrown.com  

The Yard Sale If it is non-paintball related, then you should drop her off at our Yard Sale. Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean someone else might not want it.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

Holiday Sale! Custom Made Wampum, Antique Glass, Shell and Stone Jewelry

Hello fellow mellow mcber's,

As well as using my dremel to do horrible things to my phantoms, I sometimes use the dremel to make jewelry. Some of the beads are purchased, but other than those few exceptions, I hand make my own beads from shells that I have found. That's right: an American made product that supports Americans! And these beads are not only beautiful, but also have important historical and cultural significance to Native/colonial America. These make great gifts for wives and girlfirends! Keep 'em happy with pretty shinny things. Please contact me for any inquiries, custom orders, bulk pricing, etc. Thanks!

Enough jibberjabber, bring on de bling:

$36

$11

$20

$80/each

$24
prices do not include shipping
I have many other pieces of jewelry for sale including bracelets, pendants and earrings. Prices range from 15 to 400$. I do all kinds of custom jewelry work. There are fewer than 50 wampum jewelers in the world and most of them are from Martha's Vineyard, like me! I am happy to do any custom work. Please contact me for any inquiries and more details.

Holiday Sale! If 50 people like Crows Nest Jewelry on Facebook by the end of today, every person liking Crow's Nest Jewelry will receive a 10% off discount code for any piece of jewelry. If 100 people like the page by the end of today everyone will receive a 20% off discount code for any piece of jewelry. Tell your friends about Crow's Nest Jewelry and help each other save!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.280446379.jpg (44.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.280160925.jpg (58.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.280073500.jpg (61.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.280065774.jpg (52.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.250045301.jpg (150.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.280047906.jpg (51.5 KB, 7 views)
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 11-28-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

The glass I use is from 80 to 100 year old antique bottles. I then hand craft the broken pieces of bottles into beads.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask or pm me and I can direct you to my website with more stock to chose from and more info about my work.

I also have earrings, pendants, stuff with turquoise, stuff with orange colored conch (or whelk), etc.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

90 views and not even a single nibble? Not even a single question, comment, anything?

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gun whore to the core

Brass N Wood Fan
Trade for paracord stuff?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

Do you have a thread with examples? I'll take a look, but more than likely I'll have to say no--I am broke and have no jarb.

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

Holiday Sale! If 50 people like Crows Nest Jewelry on Facebook by the end of today, every person liking Crow's Nest Jewelry will receive a 10% off discount code for any piece of jewelry. If 100 people like this page by the end of today everyone will receive a 20% off discount code for any piece of jewelry. Tell your friends about Crow's Nest Jewelry and help each other save!

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

I really like the heart pendant, but its a bit too steep for what I'm planning on making. Is there a reason they're so expensive comparatively?

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;
1) You cannot win, you can only break even.
2) You cannot break even.

Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

The heart shaped pendants are larger than the other pendants made out of beads. The strings of beads are approximately 1/2" long. The beads are between 6mm and 10mm in diameter. The pictures probably make the beads look much bigger and the hearts much smaller. The heart shaped pendants are approximately 1" tall by 1" wide (+/- 1/8 in both dimensions depending upon the individual pendant). The beads are much easier to make as they are cut using a hole saw (a drill bit, actually) in a much more factory line like process, where as the hearts are individually cut and hand shaped.

Why is wampum so expensive? I actually have a two page pamphlet detailing the history of wampum, its modern creation and a personal history of me as a wampum artist. I'd be happy to email it to you (or any one else) if you shoot me a pm with your email address.

Here's the shortish answer: these pendants started out as clams I hand dug or found on Martha's Vineyard. No where else, that I have seen, has quahog clams with as nice a color as on MV. The thickest clams were selected to make these pendants, and it is very difficult to find an old (20-40 years!), thick clam, with out inclusions or worm holes with suitable color to make such a pendant. The piece of shell was then cut, ground, flat lapped and polished using diamond encrusted lapidary tools (drills, saws, grinders, lap). The shell is deceptively difficult to find a flat piece to work--the shell curves in three dimensions: length, width and thickness--which makes the large flat faces of the heart pendants all the more impressive. It is a very labor intensive process requiring lots of time and patience. I hope that answers your question.

I have seen other wampum hearts for a fraction of the cost, but those are usually surf-tumbled, worm-hole-riddled,miss-shaped, asymetrical heart-like pendants.

If you'd like more pictures of the hearts let me know and I'd be happy to email them to you. Echo, can I ask what you were planning to make? I do custom work and have a variety of other items that may be of interest to you. thanks for looking!

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

I was planning on making a wire heart shaped necklace out of music wire and making a sort of cage for a simple heart shaped stone or pendant in the middle of the wire heart. The jury-rigged look is what I was going for, but I really like how clean these are, and especially the color. I just had no idea they were that big. I was going for a total height/ width of about an inch and half, so these are a bit big. Awesome and very pretty, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;
1) You cannot win, you can only break even.
2) You cannot break even.

Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

I could make a smaller (and less expensive) wampum pendant--maybe in the 1/2 to 5/8" size range. The shell also comes in a white color. Pieces with more white or all white are also less expensive because of the lack of rarity. I could do the wire work with sterling silver wire (would appear approximately the same as piano wire, maybe slightly different in color and luster). PM me your price range if you're interested. I like the concept of your project.

Visit my Etsy store:

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » The Yard Sale