Old mask/strap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old mask/strap questions

I have some roughly 10 year old masks. When i stretched the straps, they made a weird sound. It sounded like the elastic material was breaking.

Should i replace the mask straps before using them?

Also i have a older jt soft ears flex mask. Do i have to worry about the foam around the lense degrading? Is there any concerns in wearing the old jt mask?

I have several "old" JT masks that I regularly use. I have replaced lenses, foam, and straps on them for both safety and comfort. If you do replace the straps, I'd hang on to them, as there are collectors who apparently will pay for even the most bacony of straps, if it is the right one.
    Velcor will save us...

Current MCB Feedback : https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forum/b...opusx-feedback
    Legacy MCB Feedback (Wayback Machine)

Comment

In the end it is ultimately your decision. Many of the masks I wear are over 10 years old. But I look at it this way. The sole purpose of the goggle is to protect my vision, do I want to risk anything I would worry about being safe to use? When in doubt, throw it out.

Comment

That sound was the elastic failing. The elastic is small fibers incorporated into the material that makes up the straps. Age will result in it failing and that is the sound you hear. I've had it happen to cycling shorts quite a bit. May still be functional for a little while but it's not going to get better so you probably should replace.

Comment

Where does one find new straps? I've got two JT mask that could use new straps but haven't figured out where to obtain them.
          And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them."

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
            Where does one find new straps? I've got two JT mask that could use new straps but haven't figured out where to obtain them.
            If you’re not looking for anything fancy check out:
            Petrol JT Goggle Strap - Hero Outdoors

I’ve ordered from them once, no issue but it was a couple years ago. Is a Canadian retailer.
            Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forum/b...a’s-feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Deadmeat99 View Post
              In the end it is ultimately your decision. Many of the masks I wear are over 10 years old. But I look at it this way. The sole purpose of the goggle is to protect my vision, do I want to risk anything I would worry about being safe to use? When in doubt, throw it out.
              ^^This.

I have no problem using older masks unless parts are starting to crack. If the plastic is damaged I'd salvage what you can & throw the rest out. If you suspect the lens is old or has seen some abuse replace it immediately. Probably a good idea to replace it anyway due to age. I replace mine about every 5 years.
              I just rebuilt a really old JT Proshield (rubber visor, lol) with a new lens & a good strap. If everything else is solid I'd say replace the lenses, straps & foam and you're good to go.
              New Feedback

Comment

Post pics!

Comment

I bought one recently from this ebay seller. It was in great shape:

NEW JT Proflex Black & Grey Strap Paintball Mask Goggle Spectra Proshield Flex | eBay
                  B/S/T Listings: Custom Phantom Parts + Misc. Items - lots of regulators +
                  SP Tank Armor + Ronin Gear Stock Class Harness

Click here to edit your signature.

MCB Feedback

Comment

Working...
                  X