Word of advice for the uninitiated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
    Go out on off days, set up some targets and snapshoot until it hurts to move. It will pay off. Also- take the time to learn good form. It will help immensely as well..
    And keep your feet tucked in behind the bunker, cuz I'm one of those a-holes that likes to shoot people out cuz they left some small part exposed.

Comment

• OpusX

OpusX

commented
      Editing a comment
      True enough, happened to me last tourney. Totally my fault, I put my foot there.

• Falcon16

Falcon16

commented
      Editing a comment
      Always play tight to your bunker. I'm that guy that I'll take any small part I find to shoot.

• lew

lew

commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely. That applies for any activity in which incoming fire is expected. Be aware of the angles, and stay close to cover. If it's practical, don't stay too close to cover so that you cannot manipulate your marker/weapon to affect return fire.

Get used to and familiar with the gun you shoot, whatever it may be. The comfortable you are with it, the easier it is to put a ball where you want it.
    Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forum/b...a’s-feedback

Comment

• glaman5266

glaman5266

commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely. This was my problem for many years (darn BST, lol). I recently picked up a Resurrection & that's been getting the bulk of my trigger time lately. I've been more accurate, consistent & overall better performing now that I've been working primarily with one marker. Learn your marker & get comfy with it.

Originally posted by Interl0per View Post
    After nearly 3 decades of varying frequency of play I've reached the conclusion that ~90% of the uber-guns out there are a 200-500% premium for bells and whistles that add maybe 10% performance for >100% hassles if not just marketing hype. It's died down a lot recently, there's just not the market there used to be for ROF improvements, everyone seems to finally understand all balls of the same mass at the same speed go the same distance etc. but the bling factor still comes into play and if that's your bag, more power to you, but neophytes should remember splash ano and milling and custom valve trains add zero to the ability to hit a target while avoiding being hit and that snazzy pneumatic setups are like jet fighters, they spend more time on the ground being maintained than they do dogfighting (at least for me, Tippmanns are the only semis I've ever picked up and had just work more than 90% of the time)
    Yes & no. I agree with most of your post, especially about things like milling, valve stuff, bling, etc. 100% on board with that.
    But modern midrange electros should not be overlooked. Many markers in the midrange are excellent shooters and are very reliable & stupid easy to work on when you actually have to. The older Gtek is a good example of this. Simple, reliable, easy to work on and an overall good value IMO if you don't mind buying used. Not many bells & whistles to get in the way either. Now something like the Luxe... Yeah, no.

Sometimes you just want something smoother, more consistent, easier to work on than your old Tippmann. Nothing wrong with that. Midrange electros can be a good choice. Many of them are also pretty much air-up-and-go & can save you a lot of potential headaches. Just be mindful of what actually gives you a performance boost & what does not (in terms of both the marker & your person).

That being said, everyone should learn to work on their markers. I too spend a good chunk of time working on stuff for players 'cuz they just don't take the time to read the darn manual. The worst part is when whatever I say goes in one ear & out the other. Ugh, that REALLY bugs me.

So, newbies: listen to people when they show/teach you stuff. There's lots of good people out there willing to share their knowledge. Also, read the gosh darned manual.
    New Feedback

Comment

• Interl0per

Interl0per

commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re right about midrange electros but as a poor farm boy that started with nothing and still have most of it left they fall outside my budget and thus my experience Good point though

• Seajay

Seajay

commented
      Editing a comment
      Today's options are amazing though. For $220 you can get an Emek and enjoy the smoothness and shot quality of a "midrange" marker with the simplicity of a basic starter gun.

• glaman5266

glaman5266

commented
      Editing a comment
      Interl0per- Gotcha. I do agree with you in general though. As long as it puts paint down the field that's all you really need. I still use my ProCarb on occasion.

Seajay- Exactly. The Emek, Etha 2, Gtek, eNMey, Mini GS, all of those are good options for midrange stuff w/o all the bells and whistles. They don't break the bank either.

This is excellent advice. Some of us who have been playing for years even forget the basics at times. I've made the mistake of switching guns too frequently.

Comment

Definitely would highlight the importance of a good mask to new folks. Everyone gets excited about the guns but for a new player a good mask will be the best bang- for-your-buck way to enjoy the game more. I would absolutely chose to play with a crappy rental marker and a good mask rather than a top of the line marker and a crappy mask.

Comment

• Falcon16

Falcon16

commented
        Editing a comment
        This ^^ I tell people all the time buy your own mask as your first thing. I usually recommend something like the Profiler or the E-flex with quick change lenses so cleaning is easier and I find the profiler is super comfy.

• lew

lew

commented
        Editing a comment
        The mask is the piece of gear with which one will be most intimately connected, as well as being the most vital piece of safety equipment. Most markers are pretty reliable and shoot somewhat similarly. A bad or poorly-fitting mask will ruin one's enjoyment faster than anything else.

• tag

tag

commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree - no matter what you do on the field (player, Ref, NPC, field maintenance crew, whatever-), you will need a mask to be in the 'live' areas - so spend the most/smartest money there.

A rental mask is like rental bowling shoes, without your socks saving you.

Add the whole seeing clearly thing, then drop the mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
        Always pee sitting down at the field.
        LOL, explain.
        https://last.fm/user/mensoman

Comment

Don’t feel you need to do all the upgrades at once. Do one upgrade at a time and see how it improves your paintball gun. If you do a bunch of upgrades all at once it’s hard to measure the improvement it provides
          Last edited by Cdn_Cuda; 09-15-2020, 10:31 PM.
          Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forum/b...a’s-feedback

Comment

I give this piece of advice all the time:

Guys guys lets move up, they are way up there, don't worry.

Comment

• DavidBoren

DavidBoren

commented
              Editing a comment
              Advance, for the love of all that is holy, move forward.

Or, as completely cheesy as it may be, I channel my inner infantryman and yell, "FOLLOW ME!" complete with the exaggerated arm signal.

• Arthur

Arthur

commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree, always lead from the front.

• XEMON

XEMON

commented
              Editing a comment
              It's hilarious when I I end up on the front line with the SSR because i move up ... Alone ... 😅

Best advice ever!! Shoot, dont get shot!

Comment

Working...
            X