Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideal Springs for Midget Autococker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ideal Springs for Midget Autococker

    I, unbeknownst to me, bought a midgeted autococker body. Is there an ideal spring set for that modification? Do I just need to cut down some standard springs I already own? I would love to hear what you all have used to work on a midget.

    #2
    I wonder about this too. I assume you can only cut normal spring so much till it becomes too heavy.

    Comment


      #3
      I would start with a light mainspring, and cut it a little long... like leave an extra coil on it. The extra length will provide some preload, making the spring "look" stronger than it is. And this allows the most room for adjustments, because it is easier to remove coils than add them.

      I believe that a medium spring will run out of flexibility in adjustment sooner. And that a heavy spring is all but a waste of time, unless you simply cannot get to velocity any other way.
      If you need to talk, I will listen. Leave a message and I will call you back as soon as I get it.
      IGY6; 503.995.0257

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by MrKittyCatMeowFace View Post
        I wonder about this too. I assume you can only cut normal spring so much till it becomes too heavy.
        Too heavy?
        And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

        “But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

        And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them."

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Jordan View Post

          Too heavy?
          Am j using the word heavy wrong. Heavy meaing more harder to compress. Light meaning easier to compress. In a dumbass so assume i always know **** all

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MrKittyCatMeowFace View Post

            Am j using the word heavy wrong. Heavy meaing more harder to compress. Light meaning easier to compress. In a dumbass so assume i always know **** all
            Oh. Cutting a spring doesn't increase its strength, though.
            And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

            “But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

            And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them."

            Comment


              #7
              I JUST got my midget pump cocker up and running! I've got the lightest valve spring in it, and exactly what DavidBoren said about light main spring with extra coil. My IVG sticks out just a little bit, but I've got the reg pressure set at 350 and it's shooting 265-270 consistently! VERY Happy as this took me 7-8 complete tear downs and rebuilds to get it set up.

              Comment


                #8
                A midget has the tail cut shorter requiring shorter hammer spring right? Buy a few matched sets, trim to length. Always trial and error with finding that perfect combo.

                Comment


                • Lawn
                  Lawn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, you can use a normal sized hammer spring, but the issue then comes with clearing the bolt properly to feed paint. I pinched/chopped paint because of that.. So I have a proper shorter length cut spring in the hammer area, and I used the reg to set velocity. Got it perfect and I don't touch anything now on it!
              Working...
              X