Thread: "rain cover"
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #168 (permalink)
Mod Fodder
Axel's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Greencastle, Pennsylvania

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think you have to have the physical stamp with you, even for a firearms silencer. However, if we do get some kind of written okay for a certain class of silencer, it sure couldn't hurt to have a physical copy of it with you at the paintball field, or tucked into your gearbag.
I used to be better informed on the topic, but as I recall, for NFA weapons two of the stipulations are that, first, the paperwork stays with the weapon. I seem to recall a custom violin case made to hold a Tommy gun, with a special compartment for the papers. Second, the legal owner, whose name is on the registration, must be present at all times when the weapon is not in storage. My buddy Johnny can shoot my machine gun as long as he is legally able to possess, but I have to be with him. If I lend him the gun for a day at the range, see you tonight, bring her back safe and sound, then I've just transferred it without following the legal registration/taxation procedure and both Johnny & I are now eligible to receive mandatory invitations to Club Fed, courtesy of the American taxpayer.

For the record, I don't actually own any NFA weapons myself, or any firearms at all for that matter.

The bells of hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling
For you, but not for me


Last edited by Axel; 12-08-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote