mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Monoprice Mini Delta

Does anyone here have any opinions on the Monoprice Mini Delta? I'm looking to dip my toe into 3D printing and the information I've found on it so far seems to be generally positive. The printer appears to be fast and the auto leveling bed seems really nice for a printer in this price range. Resolution seems to be really good for an entry level printer too. I know that the volume is pretty low for this printer but I'm looking for something with a small footprint that I can keep on my desk. I'm looking at making small parts like pump handles and feedgates so 110 x 120 mm should be sufficient to get started. Any thoughts from those more experienced in 3D printing?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

It looks pretty awesome! And for the price, hard to beat. My only input comes from being the owner of a small build volume printer: I almost immediately found myself wishing I had gotten a bigger printer. I've had many projects that I've had to cut in half in order to print, then weld pieces together with a soldering iron. Just my two cents
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Yeah. The small volume is the one thing that's holding this printer back. Then again, for small parts it seems like a great pick. I'm thinking that if this turns into another hobby or even a side gig, I can always pick up a second larger printer.

What do you do your 3D modeling in? I've been teaching myself FreeCAD lately and it's a lot different than what I remember. Then again, I haven't touched a CAD program since I trained in AutoCAD 12 (which ran on DOS) back in the early '90s. That drafting & design certificate has gone untouched for decades.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Monoprice Mini Delta

I do love my small printer (Printrbot Play) it's sturdy and has a really small footprint so I can just pick it up and move it around. I will definitely keep it, even when I eventually get something bigger. So I guess that does speak to the value of a small printer.

My favorite is Solidworks because that's what I used in college. But now in the realm of free software, at Freedummy's suggestion I've been enjoying Fusion 360. I also use Onshape when I need a web based CAD.
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I do love my small printer (Printrbot Play) it's sturdy and has a really small footprint so I can just pick it up and move it around. I will definitely keep it, even when I eventually get something bigger. So I guess that does speak to the value of a small printer.

My favorite is Solidworks because that's what I used in college. But now in the realm of free software, at Freedummy's suggestion I've been enjoying Fusion 360. I also use Onshape when I need a web based CAD.
Fusion 360 looks nice but the free version is good for only 30 days or three years if you're a student. Onshape looks pretty decent for a browser based solution. I'll play around with that and see how it works out. I can see some similarities between Onshape and FreeCAD. It looks like I'll need to dive in and see what's different below the surface.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Fusion360 is free on a yearly basis, provided you declare yourself a "hobbyist" or small business making less than some large quantity of money.

Read this... https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusio...t/td-p/6280628

Included is the how to activate the trial version as a hobbyist.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Thanks, Ty! I'll try installing it this evening on my home PC.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Awesome! One of the big selling points of Fusion360 is the ability to collaborate. You can share a project with any other user as long as you have the email address they used to register.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to travis1581

I just received a monoprice select 3d printer today. I know its not the same model, but overall thoughts are:

- The manual wasn't very complete but installation was a breeze. just make sure all cables are plugged in!
- Build quality is great
- It took about 30 minutes to get everything assembled and running

Finding the appropriate software after fusion was a bit difficult. You can model in fusion and then export it to meshmixer. Meshmixer will do a lot of good analysis to make sure the part will be stable (and add material where required). Once finished there, I exported it to a stl file and uploaded it in Cura. Cura generates the G-code. Im sure there is a more direct way to do this, but its what i dug up in 2 hours. The best part is all of the software is free!

Evil Ehm Build
travis1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Thanks for the advice. I have Fusion up and running on a free license and I'm working my way through the tutorials. I expect to make a decision on which printer to get in the next few weeks. Hopefully by then I should be familiar with Fusion and ready to start putting ideas onto paper, er, plastic.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing