mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #291 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
^ absolutely beautiful ...

I did manage to get my first working prototype of the TR50 cylinder dispenser:

IMG_20190415_062521.jpg

Get Your Splatmaster Figure 8 Replacement

For sale:
Bolt action Phantom

My Feedback
XEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #292 (permalink)
I do what I do

Tried wood filled PLA for the first time today. Going to see how well it stains this weekend.

gerth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #293 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerth21 View Post
Tried wood filled PLA for the first time today. Going to see how well it stains this weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/G95E64U.jpg

I'll be watching to see how the stain turns out. What brand of wood supplement is it?
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #294 (permalink)
I do what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I'll be watching to see how the stain turns out. What brand of wood supplement is it?
The cheapish Tianse on Amazon. Supposedly 25-30% wood fiber.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y4...mob_b_pd_title

gerth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #295 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerth21 View Post

https://i.imgur.com/AUvDx8H.jpg
Sand it first. The surface straight out of the printer is sealed and will not absorb stain very well.

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #296 (permalink)
AKA ironyusa

I'll try to post pics, but I've got a 48 hour run of taulman 910 on the printer right now running some foregrips for the field one force to be used in Dallas. The test print is absurdly strong with 4 perimeters and 35% infill. My printer has an internal filament holder option, so I'm hoping the heat inside the enclosed chamber is enough to keep the filament dry as it prints. I am getting a bit of ringing/ ghosting, but it's good enough for this run.

That wood PLA looks great.

I'm also looking at picking up a anycubic photon s or a phrozen shuffle XL (since the prusa SL1 isn't out yet). I had a form 2, but the resin makes it cost prohibitive for my current needs. I don't want a SLA machine. I prefer the LCD/ DLP technology, but if anyone has some advice - I'm all ears.

Field One Force temporary grip printed in black taulman 910:

I think I may have a loose belt or I need to slow the print speed down a bit to stop the ghosting, but I am more concerned with function and getting them out to the field in time.

Last edited by blueshifty; 04-16-2019 at 09:49 PM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #297 (permalink)
AKA ironyusa

Geez nylon sucks to print... had to cancel a 48 hr print because of curling. I changed some settings and started a new print, but the stupid stuff has already absorbed enough moisture to affect the surface finish. I really needed to run a PTFE tube out of my printdry system direct into my enclosed printer, but since it's printing while I'm gone I didn't want to leave the dehydrator running. Good thing they're just functional parts.

On another note, after deliberating between the Phrozen Shuffle XL and the Peopoly Moai, I decided on the later. Despite the faster print times of the LCD tech, the community support is much better for the Moai.

I think I'm going to make one of these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3564234 It's VERY similar to what the form wash did... I may even try to make it hold the part on my build plate, so it is an easier work flow.

I'm leaning towards something like this for the UV cure station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etLOLUowvPI

I do think people overstate the difficulty of resin-type printers. The post-processing is really not very difficult and I think their capabilities are necessary in some scenarios.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #298 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I don't know this as fact, but I suspect a wipe with flax oil might help keep the nylon dry while printing. It'll make a vapor barrier to slow humidity from bonding with the polymer chains, but flax itself will fully polymerize when heated to print temperatures. I'd probably oil after the first few layers (to prevent any oil from reaching the bed) but you're probably clear afterwards. You don't need much to do the job, so if you see smoke you've got too much.

I use flax on my cast iron and it's fantastic.

My feedback thread
Old 04-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #299 (permalink)
AKA ironyusa

Hrm, would you make some sort of drip cup and an autolube? I'm thinking I could run it through a little sponge or something that would get slowly relubed. Lol, no way I'm sitting there for 48 hours straight.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #300 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I'd just unroll a length of material, wipe it, and reroll.

My feedback thread

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing