mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Updated photos in OP.

I've completed the updated feed plug. Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. The cap has the reinforcement bolt installed and two #015 o-rings. Initial testing resulted in zero misfeeds. I'll want to see how long the o-rings stay intact, but o-rings are cheap. If they prove to be more problematic than they're worth, It shouldn't be too hard to add a more traditional peg.

Edit: After some testing in the back yard, I tweaked the feed cap just a bit by extending the face by 2 mm and deepening the recess for the washer and nut in the back by 2 mm. Now the gun feeds even when tilted near vertically and the end of the bolt is below the surface of the rear side. Visually the second and third versions are nearly identical, but this small change makes feeding nearly foolproof. I'll call this project done for now.

Last edited by JonM; 04-07-2019 at 10:55 PM.
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
The feed plug has been uploaded to Thingiverse.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I decided to make a couple more refinements to my feed plug just to make it look a bit cleaner. I decided to get rid of the screw I used before and replace it with a carriage bolt. This gives the face a much smoother look and it's a lot stronger too. I also designed a back cap to hide the nut on the back side. It's too late tonight to bust out the Dremel, but once the bolt is cut to size, the back cap should be a press fit. The new o-rings came in too. I'm really liking the red and black theme going on here.

Best of all, I cracked open my very first roll of eSun PETG. This stuff printed flawlessly. I think what really helped was that my old stock PTFE tube had a very low melting point that didn't get along very well with the temperature I had to print this at (245 C). My new Capricorn tubing has a much higher melting point and it was unfazed by the higher temps. I should be able to button this up either tomorrow morning before work or after I get home. I'll also be re-printing the front cap in PETG to reap the benefits of the stronger material. Even though PETG is stronger than PLA, I'm still going to stick with the stainless bolt just to be safe. I can't have this part cracking off inside the feed tube in the middle of a game.

Now for some eye candy.

Updated 3D model: https://a360.co/2P4cYfl

Back Cap
Old 04-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I designed and printed the final piece to my PGP2 project. With my feed cap, plug and Cocker frame adapter all reprinted in PETG, I created a replacement sight rail that snaps on without any permanent modification to the PGP2. This sight rail is perfectly centered by using the slot for the speed feed as an anchor point. Once snapped into place, the sight does not move.

As usual, the model has been uploaded to Thingiverse.
]

Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well done, looks like it came out great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Just fyi everyone the answer is stock class for all questions related to paintball and to solve all paintball related problems except carbon emissions because we gotta use those 12 grams.

Double FYI for paintball rules there should be no "offer" of surrender, its either mandatory surrender at X distance when guy is behind you or no surrender and you get shot in the booty. "offer" of surrender makes for some ridiculous and dangerous john woo tactics.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
Well done, looks like it came out great
Thanks! I really couldn't be happier with it. These parts replaced stock parts that were still intact, yet I like these a lot more.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Just for fun, I've decided to try my hand at a custom pump handle for this project. The challenge is going to be those 10-32 threads. I stopped at Lowes today to see if they have any threaded inserts, but they didn't have what I needed. I may try adding a hidden groove for a nut and grinding down the excess. I see a few good options for inserts online.

The 3D model can be seen here: https://a360.co/2PfLvY1

Last edited by JonM; 04-16-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
The 3D printed pump handle worked! I still want to tweak a few small things, but it works! Updated photo in OP.

Last edited by JonM; 04-18-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

What did you end up doing with the 10-32 threads?

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
What did you end up doing with the 10-32 threads?
I'm still waiting for the brass inserts to arrive. So, I actually modeled 10-32 threads in Fusion 360. Surprisingly the pump rod threaded right in without issue. They seem to be holding tight too. I'll still put out a version for inserts since I think they'll hold up better over time. But, for those who don't want to bother with that, this design actually seems to work. I can't say how long the threads will hold up, but they seem good for the time being.

I've also tweaked a few dimensions on the original model. The pump handle has a bit more drag on the body than I'd like, so I increased the inner diameter by 1 mm. I also lengthened the top of the handle a bit to close the gap at the barrel. The threaded hole was a bit close to the body too, so I moved it left by 1 mm. Lastly, I took these changes and created another version with 1 mm knurling instead of 2 mm knurling. This last part was based on input from my son who thought that the 2 mm knurling was a bit too rough on his hands. It's a personal preference thing though, so I'll end up releasing both versions.

Here's a comparison of the old knurling to the new:
https://i.imgur.com/yigix7y.gifv

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing