mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
PGP2 Replacement Parts

Project Recap:

Current Progress

Primary Setup

Optional "Ray Gun" Setup

STL Links:

Last edited by JonM; 04-25-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Updated Progress
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sweet!

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Some People Juggle Geese

Jon, one cool thing that could be added easily is a hole for a threaded insert so you could press in an insert and use a threaded shotgun bead sight.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 View Post
Jon, one cool thing that could be added easily is a hole for a threaded insert so you could press in an insert and use a threaded shotgun bead sight.
Not a bad idea. I should be able to design a second version for a bead sight easily enough.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
VP Ragnastock

CCI Phantom Fan
Jumping on this thread
NONOBLITUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

subbing this thread.

also there was this thread about some replacement parts for the pgp2k
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...eed-gates.html
binson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by binson View Post
subbing this thread.

also there was this thread about some replacement parts for the pgp2k
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...eed-gates.html
Nice. That's along the lines of what I had in mind for the speed feed too. I'd like to incorporate the pin to secure the feed into the top slot if I can too. Between that and this front cap, I should be set if anything should happen to my PGP.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Update: I tweaked the design a bit farther tonight and I'd say that the design works perfectly except for one part. The front cap fits the top tube like a glove - better than stock even. However, when I went to remove the cap to put the original back on, it broke. Then again, I was able to snap the part by hand which means that my filament likely needs to be dried out. So, I'm going to put my spool in the dehydrator and try again tomorrow. Despite the breakage, I'd say that this thing is in a state fit for posting. I've uploaded it to Thingiverse for anyone who wants to try it out. If you do, please provide me with feedback.

Update 2: I also started work on the speed feed. It's still in very rough shape and it's not yet ready for printing, but here's a preview.

Last edited by JonM; 04-04-2019 at 08:39 PM.
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I was able to pull off a half decent print this evening. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for proof of concept. This roll of filament has been sitting in my basement unused all winter, so I'll probably want to pick up a fresh roll for the final print. In any case, it fits perfectly. Unlike the original, there is zero play in the cap whatsoever. I also shortened the front sight in this version - it lines up perfectly with the stock rear sights. I'm really pleased with how well this worked out. I'll be testing this out at the click clack bloop game on Saturday. Photos of the gun and the front cap have been added to the OP.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I got to test out my front cap at the click clack bloop game this past weekend. I learned quite a lot that day in my testing. First off, the front cap worked flawlessly. At this point, I'd say that that part of the project is complete.

However, the most important piece of information I learned is just how much I absolutely hate the stock PGP2 feed. Not only are these things notoriously fragile, they don't feed balls into the breech worth a damn. On more than one occasion, I was eliminated simply because I could not fire back. There's something to be said about the old plugs. So, I'm probably going to scrap my original speed feed idea since I found a much more reliable system. This plug requires no locking screw, no Dremel to cut a groove - just two o-rings. I went with two o-rings more for redundancy than anything. The plug works with only one, but if it tears, you'd be SOL.

My first test fit was perfect except for one critical flaw. Since this is a 3D printed part, a lot of stress will be placed along layer lines as you insert it and remove it. I eventually had to dig it out of the feed tube after it broke off. My latest version uses a washer on each end, a nut and a bolt running through the plug to prevent it from separating. The plug's face was shortened by 5 mm to make room for the washer and the bolt. The knurling I added to the end looks very similar to the knurling on the PGP2's 12-gram plug and the bolt. So, it actually looks like it belongs on the gun. I have the second prototype on the printer right now. I'm printing it solid to try and avoid any further separation issues. With any luck, I should be ready to test it in a few hours.

Click Here for a 3D preview.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing