mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Igus bearings

One of the bed linear bearings (y axis?) is failing on one of my printers. It makes a bad grinding noise, and leaving dark streaks on the steel rod. So for now I've stopped using it because I don't want to mar the rod. Anycubic customer service is great and they are sending me new parts.

But, I also looked into getting the Igus polymer bearings, and seeing a lot of mixed reviews. Have any of you guys used the Igus bearings on your printer? Success? Too much play? I'd like to try them out because the linear ball bearings are noisy and sound kinda gritty.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
AKA ironyusa

I tried them on my i3 clone (wanhao) and didn't like them because they did seem to allow a little play, though I didn't see any artifacts. Your rods also have to be perfectly parallel or they drag. I'd suggest splurging a bit on the misumi brand bearings... they cut my noise down a good bit and got rid of some small artifacts from the cheapo brand ones that came on the printer. I'm not sure exactly what printer you have, but oddly when I switched to longer bearings it actually ran quieter too.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

They seem to be one of those things that people either love or hate, with little middle ground.

Fwiw, I just tossed some cheap lm8luu bearings on my Y axis (Wanhao Di3) when it started to make noise. It's now making a *different* noise (two years later) but prints fine.

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Igus bearings

It's for my anycubic i3 mega, an i3 clone.

I went ahead and grabbed some of the Igus bearings, $10 for 10 on Amazon was hard to argue with. We'll see how it goes.

If they don't work out I'll just bite the bullet and get the nice misumi ones. Thanks for the input fellas!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA ironyusa

Did you do anything with this, yet?
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

I've got the igus bearings now, came in the mail the other day. I'll post up when I get around to trying them out.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

I installed the Igus bearings on my second printer this weekend, so far they feel pretty good. They actually feel a little less wiggly than the stock ball bearings, which surprised me. Everything I was being told was that the tolerances make them too loose.

I haven't been able to do a test print with them yet because I'm now having an issue with my z end stops not working...
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Those are actually pretty cheap, I was under the impression they were a lot more than normal bearings. I think a lot of the actual stainless steel rods have tolerance variance which might add to people thinking it's the bearings. I have ordered a lot of rods for another purpose and they are not all equal even from the same source.
ReconSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

I have done a few prints with the igus bearings, and just wasn't satisfied with the amount of play that they introduced. I got a decent amount of waviness in my prints. Switched back to the stock linear ball bearings this morning.

I read that the igus need brackets which compress them somewhat in order to get a tighter fit? I don't know, maybe I'll try again another time.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing