mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Post Your Setups

I figured I'd start a thread where we could all share and discuss our setups. We do it for our paintball gear, why not our printers?

Anyway, here's my current setup:

Creality Ender 3

Purchased upgrades
  • BLTouch v3
  • Creality glass bed
  • Capricorn PTFE tube
  • All metal extruder
  • Brass nozzle kit (0.2 to 1.0)
  • Raspberry Pi 2 with Octoprint
  • USB LED light
  • Logitech Webcam

Printed upgrades

Old 08-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Everyone is crazy about the Ender3s now, my Wanhaos are so last season, nobody talks about wanhaos no more ;p Nice facility Jon, got lots of expansion room!

Here are my printers, these two are sisters (Wanhao I3 V2.1), one has a DIII Cooler shroud, other a Cobra Cooler shroud (<3 thingiverse). The rest is the same :
-Lm8luu long bearings x4, custom y-axis carriage plate
-mosfet mods so they won\t explode
-enclose / z-brace
-microswiss all metal hotends
-turbo fan part cooling
-PEI bed sheet

DIII

Cobra

And the RostockMaxV3 is the one responsible for large parts such as the Reconslides. It works 24/7 slaving away to pay itself off, and the extra 50% border tax it incurred because the creators didn't mark it a treaty item yay.
Mods :
-sound dampeners on steppers reduce the sound literally 99% it was unbearable before
-cooling shroud
-PEI bed sheet

Last edited by ReconSWS; 08-24-2019 at 09:54 PM.
ReconSWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Nice setups you have there! For a "cheap Chinese printer", the Ender 3 never ceases to amaze me with its results and customizability. Although, that delta has me drooling.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Pretty much me the last week, just wanted to swap a roll of filament and... : https://youtu.be/AbSehcT19u0?t=1

Semi-Unrelated to that (but also kind of related), I've added a tethered Linux powered Chromebook to the Delta since the SD card reader was spotty and causing many prints to stop completely at like 50%. Installing Linux on this model CB3-131 was in itself another realm of troubleshooting hell since this is a 'special' model chrome book that has weird quirks, also the ****ers loc-tighted the read/write screw on the mobo and I stripped that of course, then getting it to connect to the machine another issue, and then that only confused the print quality issue I was having earlier.

Anyway, all said and done, I love tethering off a chromebook. It gives these weak paper weights a second chance to be useful (especially when Google won't push the Play Store Update on your model though it's been promised for 2+ years).

Suprisingly, it can compile a 3.5 million line G-code file in less than a minute, and stream that with no issue over the tether. It works just as well as using the SD card reader (which is recommended over tethering). And although you kind of have to treat it like a PC from 1995 when doing heavy load tasks, it is still responsive, in a 1995 mindset.

Like just to give some perspective, I export objects from Fusion360 and on the STL settings I drop the surface deviation sliders ALL the way down, this results in meshes that are several tens of millions of polygons, so many polygons I can't even import the mesh into 3dsmax on my normal PC. I can import that mesh into Simplify 3D on the chromebook, and rotate the view, and rotate the slicer view, and it'll be like 5-10fps cause the GPU sucks, but it'll still do it. I donno I think it's crazy, but then again these are probably made to be capable of streamin at least 1080p video so you gotta have some power.

TLDR : Put linux on chromebook, use it for tethered connection, enjoy being able to make changes to files on the spot instead of fumbling with SD cards (and a faulty SD card reader that stops my prints).

Old 10-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
How do I turn this on?

What Linux distro are you running?

(Yes I'm such a nerd that THAT'S my question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

The most recent Ubuntu. Tried Mint a long time ago on an actual laptop and didn't really like it. I'm not really a Linux user so I had to do a lot of googling about using the terminal to set permissions and what not even though this new Ubunto was apparently a lot less reliant on that. I'm liking it a lot though feel like a hackerman using the terminal sometimes, but the UI on it is nice and not copying windows like Mint (which just feels like janky windows to me when I tried it but maybe that's just me).
Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Good call on Ubuntu. If I'm running a Linux box, it's usually running that.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I am noticing I have to restart the chromebook after every 24h print because it becomes slow, and after 2 or 3 in a row it'll freeze (but print still completes). Not a big deal so far but hmm.

Hey Jon are you streaming your prints online with that webcam in your list?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconSWS View Post
I am noticing I have to restart the chromebook after every 24h print because it becomes slow, and after 2 or 3 in a row it'll freeze (but print still completes). Not a big deal so far but hmm.

Hey Jon are you streaming your prints online with that webcam in your list?
Not really. I use the camera to monitor the prints from my living room. Although, I do use it to keep an eye on things away from home too. Instead of a live stream, I use Telegram and Botfather to send commands to my printer. It will send me photos, temperature readings, layer information and so on. In the event of a failure, I can issue an abort command from my phone to avoid a plate of spaghetti when I get back.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

I've been rocking the Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus since it was released, still going strong:

That said, it is probably overdue for some maintenance. You guys reminded me I have an old laptop I could try ubuntu on for running this thing instead of running around with an sd card.
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing