mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Half Dye Dam magazine Adapter for CCI Phantom

Good day MCB.

Due to my love for design, magfed and minimalist load out I wanted to make my CCI Phantom magfed.

I found the MAK adapter here on MCB and it is a great product. Only complaint for me is that tipx mags are somewhat expensive at $20-25 each.

So I figured I'd try and make an adapter that uses dye dam mags that are cut in half like some people do for their custom hammer7 or other custom marker projects.

This is how it stands and it works/functions great. I'll be taking it out again this weekend for some field testing on this current revision.

Pics show it compared to a MAK adapter with a trufeed 12 round mag. As you can see the Dye mag is a little shorter...due to only holding 10 rounds.

Also I made the mag release on top to make it ambidextrous. I could turn the adapter 90° left or right if I wanted to make the profile a tiny bit shorter but realistically it would be like 1/4" shorter which isn't much in my opinion or worth it.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190830_062731.jpg (508.0 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 20190830_062738.jpg (532.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 20190830_062743.jpg (326.2 KB, 198 views)
shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Thats cool how hard is it to cut the Dam mags? Looks clean too I like it!
Old 08-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

All you gotta do is remove 1 screw at the top in the middle...then it really helps if you have access to a band saw...then cut straight down the middle. That's it. Pretty straight forward. Sand down the rough edges if you want. Haven't taken one apart to clean though after I cut them so we will see how that goes.

Nice thing is I get a 10 round mag for $7.50 ($15 for a full dye dam mag) vs a tipx 7 round for $17.50 or a tipx 12 round for $25. Sure a zeta is $20-25 for a 20 round or 10-12 for a 10 round...but I don't like how fragile they feel and having to remember to do the spring release.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Nice!
ReconSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
here 4 the memes

This is great! In for one if you sell em
Old 09-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tested it today...put over 200 rounds through it. Works fantastic. Not a hiccup.

Gonna make some cosmetic changes to make it 'flow' better with the marker and dye dam mags while still keeping its no support needed 3d printing characteristics. Also may add a weaver rail to put on my ghost ring sight we will see.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

After previous field testing, I decided to update the look of the mag adapter to flow better with the dye dam mags.

Still working out which springs I want to use so I can refine the retention cut out for the mag latch. It works fine as is...but in the event you need to replace the spring or latch its just cumbersome to replace.

Let me know what you all think!

Old 09-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
here 4 the memes

Looks great!!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Have you tried Dmag springs I use to use them on my Hammer 7 that I put a Dye mag well on “The DamHammer”. It’s a lot lighter spring and was great for standard paint less dimples/ stack pressure and let me shoot much more brittle paint. They were cheap and easy to find at my local pro shop to.

I like the new look to.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
Have you tried Dmag springs I use to use them on my Hammer 7 that I put a Dye mag well on “The DamHammer”. It’s a lot lighter spring and was great for standard paint less dimples/ stack pressure and let me shoot much more brittle paint. They were cheap and easy to find at my local pro shop to.

I like the new look to.

Oh I totally bought those springs for the magazines, havent installed them. I did notice that unless the follower was pressed/retained at the bottom of the mag, the spring would dimple paint. Once I realized that was my issue I havent dimpled graffiti since. Maybe I should put the softer dmag springs in anyways since I cant exactly run FSR in this haha.

But that wasn't the spring I was talking about. It was the spring mechanism for the mag release on my adapter. I just ordered some small springs on ebay. Currently just using a spring from a ballpoint pen since that is what I had available. I think I figured out my solution though. Now to make adjustments for it.

Anyone care about having a sight rail? Like for the CCI ghost ring? only complaint is it adds height and who isn't using muscle memory for shots these days?

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing