mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechstar View Post
Jon, Looks great. I would keep the height of the pump arm “full height” with ball drop cutout like you have on the model in your thread. Having pump contact at both the feed tube and the trigger frame at the area where the bolt slot is should greatly resist the up/down force generated.

Regarding strength/durability, yes, as I mentioned in the original post this will require SLS or similar printing method. Typical Home printing won’t do, regardless of the filament I think (except for the prototyping).
The Shapeways printed Phantom pump handle and grip frame I have from PumpSendicate are Super sturdy. I don’t think I would have any reservations about their “Flexible Nylon” for this handle.
It absolutely WILL be expensive ($80ish?), but that is the way I would want any handle printed personally (for the fit and finish).
Hopefully using I.materialize or 3D hubs, can lower the price of admission, for similar durability.
I'll play around with that and post up another rendering.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Okay, so here's the updated version with the changes you suggested. As you can see, there's more material around the slot. Depending on how this goes, it might be 3D printable. I may try a quick and dirty prototype to test it out.

3D Rendering: https://a360.co/34SlepI

Old 12-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just happen have an Retro 7 3D printed pump handle kicking about if anyone needs it as a base model... Pm me and I will send it along
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I have a quick and dirty print running right now. I should be able to test the design on my 007 in the morning.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Old Slow Fat Guy

Perhaps a silly question, but what if you cast one of these in aluminum via the lost-PLA method? Would it be too heavy? Not strong enough? Or perhaps not the right material due to the wear of metal on metal?

If not metal, could you use a printed pump arm to make a mold to pour one from a more appropriate material, perhaps with inserts at key points?
Un2xs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Okay, so here's the updated version with the changes you suggested. As you can see, there's more material around the slot. Depending on how this goes, it might be 3D printable. I may try a quick and dirty prototype to test it out.
Yeah, that’s looking great. You could certainly extend the pump arm to completely cover the pump slot in the body like I think you mentioned in a previous post. It would add even more material around the diagonal slot.
Question: does the feed cutout for this full height model pinch the ball in the stack at all when cycling?
Mechstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechstar View Post
Yeah, that’s looking great. You could certainly extend the pump arm to completely cover the pump slot in the body like I think you mentioned in a previous post. It would add even more material around the diagonal slot.
Question: does the feed cutout for this full height model pinch the ball in the stack at all when cycling?
As far as I can tell, the ball is not pinched. As for extending the pump arms, that will be a lot more material for little benefit. If it's going to break, it'll be at a point of stress. Those slot covers will just make the part more time consuming and more expensive to make.

I also got the rough print off the bed this morning (perhaps too rough - it's more like a shredded wheat biscuit). I was at least able to use it as a point of reference for a couple issues I noticed. First, since the pump arms are no longer round, the bolt handle can't completely lock forward. Although, it does have maybe 90% movement. Also, to make the action smooth, the slot for the bolt handle is 6 mm wide instead of 5 mm like my original design. This moves the front of the pump handle slightly in front of the barrel when fully forward. I'd need to trim that a bit. To get the bolt to lock down, I'll likely need to make the fillet around the slot bigger and taper the inside edge.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » 3D Printing