mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
trophy husband

showing off latest project (ultralite-framed pneumag)

It's not 100% finished yet, but I couldn't wait to show off.

I picked up a Dye Ultra-light frame on eBay a while back (almost a year ago now) because I'd seen other people modify UL frames to work with automags, and I thought maybe I could make a cool pneumag with it. Once I got it, though, I realized I couldn't mount the piston horizontally (where it usually goes) because that's where the trigger pin goes. But after thinking about it for a few months, I decided to try to move the whole frame back and mount the piston vertically instead (so it pushes up on the back on the sear instead of hitting the sear arm).

First, I had to cut the sear (because the arm wouldn't fit inside the frame with everything else stuffed in there).

Then I mounted the piston vertically. (I also had to file down the frame and the piston a little more than usual to get this done.)

Next, I installed the three-way valve. (I used a modified MAC-33 solenoid. And I had to cut off part of the trigger and add an extra trigger stop to make this work.)

Since the frame sits back farther than usual, I couldn't use the normal frame holes the way they were intended. Fortunately, the bottom part of the twist-lock assembly fits perfectly into a slot in the UL frame, but unfortunately, the body doesn't fit on the frame with a twist-lock assembly in there...so I had to grind it down.

The back of the rail had to be modified too. I could use the back hole to hold the valve to the rail, but not to hold the frame to the rail. So I had to drill/tap another hole farther back.

The body is held in place with a shorter frame screw (which is perfectly hidden inside the mostly-hollow UL frame when assembled), and the bottom of the twist-lock assembly is actually already threaded, so that's how I secured the frame to the rail.

The valve is secured with another shorter screw, also hidden inside the frame.

As a bonus, I found a nice RT-length rail with the foregrip bracket that hangs down low enough so the long front part of the UL frame sneaks right underneath. Otherwise I'd have to hack of the front.

And when it's all said and done, it work! I thought that maybe the piston wouldn't have enough leverage to move the sear (since it's pushing up on the back of the sear instead of pushing back on the arm), but it works just as well as any other pneumag I've built.

Now I just need to figure out where to mount the LPR, and I need to put it through some quality control. Automags usually have two main screws holding everything together (the front one that goes from frame to rail to body, and the back one that goes from frame to rail to valve), and this one now has four, so I'm curious how that's gonna hold up. But if everything holds together well, it's going up for sale to fund more projects.

Last edited by rawbutter; 07-01-2016 at 05:42 PM.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Looks good. That gap between the grip frame and foregrip really give it a more modern look.

“The punishment of every disordered mind is its own disorder.”
― Augustine of Hippo
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
lukescustoms.com

Quote:
I thought that maybe the piston wouldn't have enough leverage to move the sear (since it's pushing up on the back of the sear instead of pushing back on the arm), but it works just as well as any other pneumag I've built.
That's the way I use to do my Spyder-mags 15 years ago, I've also seen other pneu-mags setup the same way.

Nice build.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Where are you?

Send a message via AIM to grantis2911

Looks awesome! This has been my dream build for years now
Old 07-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
trophy husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-AO View Post
That's the way I use to do my Spyder-mags 15 years ago, I've also seen other pneu-mags setup the same way.

Nice build.
I don't think I've ever seen one of your Spyder mags. I'll have to dig that up. I actually got the idea from Hill's EP mag he built a few years ago, but I wasn't 100% sure if I was remembering things right. And I couldn't find the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantis2911 View Post
Looks awesome! This has been my dream build for years now
Thanks. Hopefully it will look even better when I track down the last few pieces I want.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
trophy husband

Finally finished this project! More pics to post.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
trophy husband

And more pics....
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
trophy husband

I think I said before that I was worried about the piston shifting around while shooting. I fixed this problem by drilling/tapping a small hole in the back of the grip here.

The set screw going in at that location pushes the piston up and to the right slightly, wedging it against the MAC valve (which is held in by two screws itself), so I'm 100% sure the piston isn't going anywhere now.

I also had to custom build a safety for this thing. Wish I had taken more pictures of that process.

I might still have to fiddle with the Level 10. (It didn't reset once during a test firing.) But otherwise this beast is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVcv2ckdvw

(I really need to get better at walking the trigger one of these days....
Old 09-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nicely done!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs