mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Need help with chopping on lvl10

So I have a ule x valve mag that is setup to rt when I want to but nothing crazy. I'm using a dye rotor with fresh batteries and I'm still getting chops. The field I went to today only uses marballizer for paint and 260fps velocity. So to get the gun to cycle reliably at 260 I have to use the short gold spring, I have tried to trim a red one but even trimming a red spring almost to the same length as a gold one still required the velocity to be set higher than allowed at the field. Is there anything else I can do? It's a brand new field that seems really nice and I would like to support them but if I keep chopping paint all the time well then it just makes it no fun to go there. I did ask if they could do a different kind of paint and they said all they had was marbs or gi 5 star.
Random Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

The way LX works (and I guess you know this) is by the balance inbetween the carrier size/powertube oring/spring. It is super close to not shooting when tuned right and thus will "chuff" when a ball is in the way.

My suggestion would be to try the next biggest sized carrier, OR find a really oversized bore barrel and see if you can get velocity down. I suspect that the next carrier will likely leak unless you are lucky.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

The lower the velocity, the shorter the bolt spring, so your shortened red spring makes sense.

For chopping, it is more likely that you are double feeding on small paint, and/or chuffing an extra ball while rt-ing. Make sure you can shoot a single shot cleanly. If you have seal leak in the on/off, the bolt can be leaking air when it is back, blowing on the ball in the breech and helping to push little paint into the barrel. If you rt often, the leak can sneak up unnoticed.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd just play somewhere that let's you chrono to 280 at least.
uglyduckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Shoots fine single balling, no chops or anything, with gold spring at required velocity, the moment I start to try to rt it goes stupid like a blender, it was so bad yesterday that I just had to stop using my mag and switch to my electro, though even in that I did get a chop or two. There is one field near me that is still 260 fps, but at least the use like gi 2 star, or byop as long as you pay them 10 bucks, I might have to just stick with that. The only field in reasonable driving distance to me that chrono higher then that is a rundown back in the boondocks field that way overcharged for old crap paint that is just as brittle.

What would be some good cheaper thicker shelled paint

Last edited by Random Name; 12-10-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Personally, I don't go below 2 star, even when the weather sucks. One star is good for a Tippmann 98, but curves so bad you actually save money buying better.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

marbs are garbage now days, try the 5 star. what input pressure are you using?
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Input pressure varies. If I'm just relaxing I'll sometimes use my 750psi tank and if I really want to rock the rt then my shp ninja tank. My reg tester says it's outputting 1200 psi. Do you think that could be an issue for it. If so I will gladly remove some shims
Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

yea, drop your pressure down to between 900 and 1000 and see what happens.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Alright I will attempt this. I won't be able to test it till Friday at the earliest but I will see.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs