mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Recommendation for vertical ULE mag

Hey mag heads!

I'm looking at buying a mag but I know almost nothing about them.

I want to put a spring pheed on it. The manufacturer said it needs to have a vertical ULE to accommodate one(the feedneck needs to be removable). From the little bit I've read only the RT pro can fit a ULE but then I see this...

Also there are "levels" of bolt to consider....

My requirements for the gun are:
  • Simplicity
  • Reliability
  • Single trigger
  • Vertical ULE

Quietness (at least relatively) would be good to have also

Things I don't need (or even want):
  • High fire rate or auto fire
  • Efficiency (anything over 120 shots per 13ci tank is fine)

Also let me know what tools and kits I might need to maintain it. I enjoy tinkering, tuning and servicing off the field but I want it to be trouble free on the field.

Thanks for reading.

Nick

Last edited by nicko; 04-18-2018 at 11:12 AM.
nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

you can get new from AGD or you can buy any mag except an RT Classic and put the ULE body on it. there are only two basic bolts, level 7 and level 10, the ten is the anti chop bolt for use with brittle paint. the marker in "this" has a stainless classic valve which is heavier than the X valve if weight is any consideration. simplicity and easy maintenance is what mags are all about they come apart with an allen wrench, just put a couple of drops of oil in the asa before use and they will run for years without needing much of anything.

superman on this forum has everything except the ule body at the moment that you need for this, just look thru the bst thread.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

supermans thread is under mag parts for days in the misc section
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

I don't think you'll get 120 shots off of a 13ci tank on a Mag - they need lots of input pressure into the valve to function correctly, and you'll run into velocity problems once the tank runs under 1000psi.

Might get 80-100.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
mag shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I don't think you'll get 120 shots off of a 13ci tank on a Mag - they need lots of input pressure into the valve to function correctly, and you'll run into velocity problems once the tank runs under 1000psi.

Might get 80-100.
he may be able to bump those numbers up with an effiecency insert but it makes it a bit harder on paint.

My shop page: Bearded Works

feedback(https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
If you're going for quietness, the Level 7 bolt runs at a lower pressure than a Level X. You can also get the tank a little lower with a 7 vs X due to the pressure change. You really don't get much more simple than a classic valve with a level 7 bolt installed. If you want a little lighter trigger pull you can always throw an RT on/off in it too.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks for the replies all. I've gotten in touch with superman

One other thing: this doc
Code:
www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/paintguns/automag_faq.shtml
talks about "effective range" of a mag vs a cocker - what do they mean do you think ? Are they talking about accuracy ?

Last edited by nicko; 04-18-2018 at 07:39 PM.
nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko View Post
this doc talks about "effective range" of a mag vs a cocker - what do they mean do you think ? Are they talking about accuracy ?
Can't see the article but anything describing mag vs. cocker and precision vs. accuracy will be a junk article. Both platforms have the same potential for range/accuracy/precision what matters the most is the roundness of the paintball. Long story short Mags can be just as accurate or inaccurate as any other paintball gun.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
If you're going for quietness, the Level 7 bolt runs at a lower pressure than a Level X. You can also get the tank a little lower with a 7 vs X due to the pressure change. You really don't get much more simple than a classic valve with a level 7 bolt installed. If you want a little lighter trigger pull you can always throw an RT on/off in it too.
The difference is less than 50 psi out of about 450 psi, so in operation the lvl10 is not much of a difference. Dry firing, a lvl10 is extra piggish on air.

While my personal default is to use a level 10 bolt, it's hard to say how much trouble it will give any one person. If you can install an RT on/off, you are pretty much capable of installing a level 10. Mostly? I've had a level 10 save me multiple chops when my loader batteries faded away. On the other hand, when you get an exceptionally fat paintball, you might wish that the bolt would go ahead and try to stuff it in the barrel, as you don't have time to clear that ball out.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
The difference is less than 50 psi out of about 450 psi, so in operation the lvl10 is not much of a difference. Dry firing, a lvl10 is extra piggish on air.

While my personal default is to use a level 10 bolt, it's hard to say how much trouble it will give any one person. If you can install an RT on/off, you are pretty much capable of installing a level 10. Mostly? I've had a level 10 save me multiple chops when my loader batteries faded away. On the other hand, when you get an exceptionally fat paintball, you might wish that the bolt would go ahead and try to stuff it in the barrel, as you don't have time to clear that ball out.
Classic valves with lvl 7 are running about 350-400 psi, a long spring lvl x is about 500-550. There is a noticeable difference in sound.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs