mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Favorite old school 'mag barrel?

So I'm looking at picking up a period correct style barrel for a classic mag. So far I'm considering dye stainless, PMI perfect bore, J&J ceramic, Lapco, and perhaps even the crown point barrel.

Any thoughts on which would be better with small paint or just in general? I'm hoping that the bore size isn't as critical being a open bolt gun.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

As far as what we now consider small paint, .670's- .682ish, few, if any, of the popular twistlock barrels were made for it in the 90's. Paint, in general, was larger then, so barrels in .690-.693 are kind of the norm. Lapco did make the stainless 'Autospirit' in a smaller bore size than their standard 'Bigshot', but that was .686 I think. I had one and unfortunately the bore was too small for my Lvl 10 bolt to clear and it would jam in the barrel! Smart Parts also offered their All American in 'small/medium/large' bore sizes at least by '95 or '96. However, I doubt the 'small' size was less than .686. Opinions on barrel size, underbore, matchbore, overbore, etc, are a dime a dozen. With Automags I've seen first hand, and read enough research, that my paint quality and eviornmental factors will effect my overall accuracy more than whether I used a .685 or .689. With pumps and cockers this is more important, but mags.. not so much in my opinion. I run a .687 or .689 and am only concerned that the bore is clean.

As far as favorite period correct, depends. The SP All American, and the DYE Stainless stand out in my memory from '94-'97ish as the top dogs of all barrels, though this might have been good marketing! Stainless barrels in general were a big deal, and SS was touted as the superior barrel material. Even SP eventually released the AA in stainless to compete with the DYE SS. However, by the last few years of the 90's, the mixed stainless/ aluminum DYE Boomstick was emerged as the absolute pinnacle of barrels, and cost a good chunk more than any other barrel including the DYE SS. I remember the PMI Perfect Bore barrels making a big splash at that time too. By the early 00's, all aluminum one piece barrels seemed to dominate again, with stainless steel falling out of style forever. Then of course, the SP Freak barrel kit came out and pretty much changed the aftermarket barrel industry forever, or at least the marketing of it.

Having used most of the popular period twistlock barrels, except J&J for some reason, I still prefer the DYE stainless, PMI Perfect Bore aluminum, or SP All American on my mags. That being said, if the bore is a mirror finish, then it probably won't matter much what brand it is. I even had a 14in DYE SS barrel in my glove box as a makeshift club for a few years! It just seemed a shame to get rid of such a nice, shiny piece of steel.
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wookie D*cks

A stubby Armson. I know, I know...but it shot great for me.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Dye aluminum. Great shooting barrel.

-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
aka Alby

Send a message via AIM to pinkanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
A stubby Armson. I know, I know...but it shot great for me.
My splash Z-Mag had an Armson barrel, thing shot tits all day. I know I know rifling doesn't work but those barrels are still awesome.
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Nobody actually plays on MCB, they just hoard and sell.
pinkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Heart of Texas

Dye stainless or the first gen armson stealth barrels. Of course with today’s paint it’ll be roll out city.

Need money? I buy old eclipse splash stuff..
cave_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

16" All American.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

My absolute favorite old school barrel for a Mag was a Stainless LAPCO AUTOSPIRIT for a long time that was my go to barrel. It weighs most likely as much as the Mag itself but coming from brass guns it never bothered me too much. Now that I'm resurrecting my mags and playing with them again I regret letting that Autospirit go, don't even remember selling it. It could be it is in one of my teammates paintball bag, I should ask.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

back in the mid 90's where I played if you had money it was an Armson, if you were like me and lived paycheck to paycheck you scrimped and saved and bought a Smart Parts. I always preferred the quieter SP to the Armson anyway.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

nowdays I like the J&J 2 piece more than most it seems. it all depends on the paint you get that day.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs