mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Automag Virgin in Search of Answers

After a couple of years of not even thinking about paintball, I am going through all of my late acquisitions before I took my hiatus. One of those was an earlier 68 Automag, of which I know next to nothing about, apart from having played with a rental many, many, many years ago - and having really enjoyed using it.

Not surprisingly, on first gas-up, it is leaking like crazy. So, I began a full tear-down. Having a serial number in the low 30k's, I had assumed that this would be a Level 7, but now I am finding myself with a few questions, as what I am seeing is not matching the AGD videos that I've watched or the manuals that I have found online.

First, in the power tube assembly, I expected to find a power tube spacer between the (blown-out) power tube o-ring and the power tube kit, but I found a small brass-colored spring, instead. That was the initial reason I was questioning if this was actually a Level 7. Presumably, I'll need to order some from Bacci, as I don't appear to have any at all? (The bad part is that I already placed an order with Dan last night, before I did this tear-down, which is totally my bad - and I know that he has some.) Outside of that, everything matches the manual, that I can tell.

Next, I was wonder if the constant air adapter mounted on the rail was LocTited at the factory? I can't budge the allen head screws, and I am afraid of stripping out the heads. I did want to remove it, though, because I am moving to a bottomline on another frame in the near future. I see no evidence of it anywhere, but the stock adapter is flush with the rail, so I would not expect to have seen it anyhow.

Many thanks, in advance! Hopefully when my o-ring order arrives, along with my goodies from Dan, I'll quickly have a field-ready Mag for the first time in my life, and am looking forward to it immensely.
ProtoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
The spring was what was used in the power tube before spacers. They are questionably reliable and a powertube spacer kit would be good purchase. As for the bottom line, I have had some of the older ones seize up due to the steel and aluminum corroding some. You may want to try some heat on the screws to get them warmed up and then try them again. If that doesn't work you can try spraying then down with penetrating oil. I have had some luck with boiling parts as well.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

the early level 7's had the spring instead of the spacer. which bolt does it have? foam tip, hard tip that barely protrudes or hard tip that protrudes a lot? mags like oil so every few uses or if you go a couple of months between uses put a couple of drops in the asa and fire the marker without the barrel. without pics i'm guessing your talking about the back bottle adapter under the valve that you can't get the screws loose on. you have steel in aluminum and over time the dis-similar metals can react to each other and lock up. try soaking it in really hot water for a little bit or some sort of penetrating oil. you may end up having to drill out the heads on the bolts if you must remove it. mags also like 800 psi input pressure.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

You always need to order something from Bacci!
Fleeting Expertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
The spring was what was used in the power tube before spacers. They are questionably reliable and a powertube spacer kit would be good purchase. As for the bottom line, I have had some of the older ones seize up due to the steel and aluminum corroding some. You may want to try some heat on the screws to get them warmed up and then try them again. If that doesn't work you can try spraying then down with penetrating oil. I have had some luck with boiling parts as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage View Post
the early level 7's had the spring instead of the spacer. which bolt does it have? foam tip, hard tip that barely protrudes or hard tip that protrudes a lot? mags like oil so every few uses or if you go a couple of months between uses put a couple of drops in the asa and fire the marker without the barrel. without pics i'm guessing your talking about the back bottle adapter under the valve that you can't get the screws loose on. you have steel in aluminum and over time the dis-similar metals can react to each other and lock up. try soaking it in really hot water for a little bit or some sort of penetrating oil. you may end up having to drill out the heads on the bolts if you must remove it. mags also like 800 psi input pressure.
Thank you, both. I know that it was a constantly evolving design, and it appears that I was just caught in between revisions then. The bolt is the solid bolt which barely protrudes.

As to the ASA, drilling out the heads won't be a problem if I need to do it. More concerned about the maintaining the integrity of the rail, and I should be able to still salvage the adapter for the parts bin. I'll definitely give it a hot soak and try to break them free, as well as penetrating oil, if I have no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeting Expertise View Post
You always need to order something from Bacci!
Ain't that the truth!? I was wavering back and forth around putting that Whaler that he has up in my cart and ended up not doing it. I'm practically looking for something that I "need" at this point, so that I can just tack it on to the order. ;-)

Last edited by ProtoNY; 07-08-2018 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added image.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

Personally, I'd just skip ordering any Lvl 7 spacers or parts and just go ahead and get a Lvl 10 bolt kit. I mean, it's 2018, might as well use the best mag upgrade of the past 20 years!
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
Personally, I'd just skip ordering any Lvl 7 spacers or parts and just go ahead and get a Lvl 10 bolt kit. I mean, it's 2018, might as well use the best mag upgrade of the past 20 years!
Agree completely. I have a box of parts that are probably nearly two more AutoMags ready to be assembled. Figured I would baseline with what was closest to ready to go, so that I could do a rebuild and get familiar with what was on the inside. Judging by what I've seen, I imagine that this one was shot a few times and put away in a closet (sadly, uncleaned, as it is a bit crusty in places).

Have been keeping my eye out for a full Lvl 10 kit, and am sure that I will snag one soon enough.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoNY View Post
Agree completely. I have a box of parts that are probably nearly two more AutoMags ready to be assembled. Figured I would baseline with what was closest to ready to go, so that I could do a rebuild and get familiar with what was on the inside. Judging by what I've seen, I imagine that this one was shot a few times and put away in a closet (sadly, uncleaned, as it is a bit crusty in places).

Have been keeping my eye out for a full Lvl 10 kit, and am sure that I will snag one soon enough.
If you go this route and it's a classic valve you might as well pick up a newer reg piston assembly. The older ones will eventually give out with the higher pressure that the level 10 needs. One less thing to worry about.
audioSLAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioSLAVE View Post
If you go this route and it's a classic valve you might as well pick up a newer reg piston assembly. The older ones will eventually give out with the higher pressure that the level 10 needs. One less thing to worry about.
Duly noted, and thank you! Will add it to my list of projects to do, then. Once I get it back to firing stock (my o-rings will be here tomorrow), then it is going to be field-testing and tweaking, ad museum. Really looking forward to putting some rounds through it tomorrow!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tubular!

CCM Fan
If you need parts that you can't find used/bacci, AGD sells parts. I've become well-aquainted with their site this past year.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs