mcarterbrown.com  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
criticalhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorado

Fan of EMR
LVL 7 efficency

I'm trying to do a cost benefit analysis here. Does anyone know the kind of efficiency I would expect from swapping out my lvl 10 bolt to a lvl 7 on an X valve?
__________________
A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous, and the valor of the brave. But all of these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling. — Discourses on Galactic Leadership

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks

R.I.P Bill Hicks
criticalhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tinkerer
 
dano_____'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minnesota

CCM Fan
You're not looking at more than 100 shots difference on a good day. You increase the likely hood of breaking paint due to the increased bolt speed so the efficiency gain can be nullified by that. You would be better served just buying a classic valve with lvl 7 and running that than to try and swap a 7 onto an x valve.
__________________
Dan's Feedback
dano_____ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
One Foot Less
 
punkncat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ATL

Not that I have ever done a shot to shot comparison, but I can recall having to turn up the velocity a fairly significant amount when going to LX from 7.
I haven't used an X valve in a few years now. I opted to go with a Classic and Lv7 for the simplicity, efficiency, and ability to use CO2. So long as I pay attention to trigger stroke, speed in relation to the hopper I am using, and stay under 4 star level paint I have had no issues.
__________________
feedback
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

I've never noticed a large difference when swapping them back and forth on classic valves, except for dry firing. Without a ball to push and some back pressure, the level 10 seems to use more air dry firing than the level 7, not that either are good dry firing. Barrel length made more difference than the bolt. Those little minimag barrels use a lot of air for the same velocity as a 14" barrel.
__________________
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oklahoma

I have never compared one to the other either. I do know with a 68/4500 I can shoot over 1000 rounds and still have about a half tank left on either one.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
criticalhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorado

Fan of EMR
What color springs are you guys using on the LvL 7?

With a lvl 10 bolt I do notice a minor difference between a gold spring that's almost flush with the bolt and a fresh red spring. There is a 1 to 1.25 inch difference in length. Granted my lvl 10 is to harsh on paint using a gold spring.
__________________
A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous, and the valor of the brave. But all of these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling. — Discourses on Galactic Leadership

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks

R.I.P Bill Hicks
criticalhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jordan Station, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalhammer View Post
What color springs are you guys using on the LvL 7?

With a lvl 10 bolt I do notice a minor difference between a gold spring that's almost flush with the bolt and a fresh red spring. There is a 1 to 1.25 inch difference in length. Granted my lvl 10 is to harsh on paint using a gold spring.
Someone on Facebook mentioned using a Lvl10 red spring with his Lvl7 bolt works great... slows the bolt speed down somewhat without the potential tuning hassles of a Lvl10.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Someone on Facebook mentioned using a Lvl10 red spring with his Lvl7 bolt works great... slows the bolt speed down somewhat without the potential tuning hassles of a Lvl10.
Note sure about HPA, but with 12gs the red spring was noticeably less efficient. The automag bolt seems to travel the same distance, just slower and with a longer vent time (and more pressure).
__________________
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 08-25-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jordan Station, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Note sure about HPA, but with 12gs the red spring was noticeably less efficient. The automag bolt seems to travel the same distance, just slower and with a longer vent time (and more pressure).
Makes sense... I was thinking about the pressure needed to overcome a stiffer spring as I typed my post and wondering how that might affect it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC