mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8pie2day View Post
so a 1 inch barrel will shoot just as well as a 8-12" barrel... dont think so... i believe you need 3" and that is where it starts to not make a huge difference...
if you can actually get velocity it SHOULD be just as accurate. I mean think about it, the barrel is effecting the ball for the first few inches of its flight if you shoot at a target 100 ft away that 12 inch barrel is only effecting less that 1% of the balls flight path. The air interaction with the ball itself will cause enough of an effect on the ball to make any effect the barrel could have be lost in the statistical noise.

CP,
You said the python kit can actually improve efficiency even in that tiny control bore? Well I guess you're right, but efficiency increase per dollar cant be worth it compared to just buying a freak jr with the .679 bore.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Meow.

Brass and Wood Fan
well yes, thats what im saying, it would be quite a PITA to get it up to velocity if you have a 1 inch barrel because it doesnt have a reasonable amount of time to accelerate, that was the point i was getting at, but you are correct, if you have a good paint/bore match and same velocity a 1inch will shoot almost the same as an 8-12inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagels View Post
When face palm is not enough, you face rocket.
i8pie2day's Feedback
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
if you can actually get velocity it SHOULD be just as accurate. I mean think about it, the barrel is effecting the ball for the first few inches of its flight if you shoot at a target 100 ft away that 12 inch barrel is only effecting less that 1% of the balls flight path. The air interaction with the ball itself will cause enough of an effect on the ball to make any effect the barrel could have be lost in the statistical noise.

CP,
You said the python kit can actually improve efficiency even in that tiny control bore? Well I guess you're right, but efficiency increase per dollar cant be worth it compared to just buying a freak jr with the .679 bore.
if he already has it and uses it ... then no loss at all.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8pie2day View Post
well yes, thats what im saying, it would be quite a PITA to get it up to velocity if you have a 1 inch barrel because it doesnt have a reasonable amount of time to accelerate, that was the point i was getting at, but you are correct, if you have a good paint/bore match and same velocity a 1inch will shoot almost the same as an 8-12inch
paint/bore match has nothing to do with it. paint/bore match only effect efficiency and consistency not accuracy (unless your consistency is worse than +/- 15)

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
:facepalm:

guys let science judge, go look up punkworks, barrels dont effect anything besides efficiency and consistency. as long as your barrel is better than an older spyder stock barrel you should be ok accuracy wise.

that no name 6 inch unported barrel is the stock barrel.

and drop the python barrel theres no reason to own one, ever. if you shoot a pump get off your *** and get a real barrel kit. heck dont even get a barrel kit just buy 1 barrel thats in the .679-.683 range and you'll be alright.

oh and a nice link for all you gentlemen,
YouTube - Barrels - what we know.
Change your tone.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
:facepalm:

guys let science judge, go look up punkworks, barrels dont effect anything besides efficiency and consistency. as long as your barrel is better than an older spyder stock barrel you should be ok accuracy wise.

that no name 6 inch unported barrel is the stock barrel.

and drop the python barrel theres no reason to own one, ever. if you shoot a pump get off your *** and get a real barrel kit. heck dont even get a barrel kit just buy 1 barrel thats in the .679-.683 range and you'll be alright.

oh and a nice link for all you gentlemen,
YouTube - Barrels - what we know.
Apparently you didnt read my post. I asked about two barrels, not a kit. If you love barrel kits, by all means, keep buying them. I wont. Refer to the original post, Sir.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mar
Just ****ing confused

Brass and Wood Fan
guys, be nice.

I know we all get e- Hard-ons talking about barrels, and we all either believe/or don't that they effect accuracy... that being said, please be polite.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Call me... Cardgage.

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Isotope

I love my Python kits, and recommend them to everyone. They're the closest thing that the entire sport of paintball has to recycling. I don't need a fancy barrel kit for any of my pumps-- I put the Python in with whatever insert is required, and screw in whatever gimme-barrel I have lying around. $5 Proto, no-name clearance-bin barrel, formerly useless .693" one-piece, etc, etc. Hell, I'm using the stock barrel off of a WGP Worr Machine right now, and that was absolutely free.

I've seen velocity changes of as much as 15fps from just changing the overbored barrel screwed into a Python, so there will be some trial and error-- but even on the A5 I would think it worth it for the moderate bump in efficiency, compared to just rattling the paintballs down a .690".

Oh, and the control bore length is for efficiency only. No other effect.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Moderating From Above

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
paint/bore match has nothing to do with it. paint/bore match only effect efficiency and consistency not accuracy (unless your consistency is worse than +/- 15)
So if I shoot a .680 ball out of a 1 inch long 3 inch wide barrel it will be efficient and accurate?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
So if I shoot a .680 ball out of a 1 inch long 3 inch wide barrel it will be efficient and accurate?
efficiency - nope - like Leafy said - efficiency and consistency are effected by bore. the smaller the bore the more efficient.

We were never able to get balls up to speed on really, really short barrels - we tried with just the backs of a CCM kit - those are about 1.5" long.

Accurate - sure, why wouldn't they be.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts