mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
NonsystematicNomenclature

Mighty Putty/Epoxy Putty Removal

What's the best way to remove mighty putty/epoxy putty.

Besides resorting to file and whatnot is their any chemicals or tricks to soften it? I heard nail polish works but I don't have any. And I'm at uny so I can't try right at the moment.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rithunder916

Last time I used epoxy putty I dissolved it with leaded gasoline....took the paint off the marker too.....

I typically use dremel's and files to remove it depending on the item its attached to.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmmm won't be able to get leaded gasoline around here easily....and its on a nel-spot, early one by the looks of it (old style pierce pin, nothing that could look like a barrel sleeve). I'll check around my brothers shop for some chemicals but I was wondering if their was a sure fire one that wouldn't harm the steel of the body cause its completely rust free and no pitting to speak of.

Still have to take all the paint off.....but so far so good.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok my nice scientific post didn't post so heres a quick (and tired) gist of it.

I live in Saskatchewan, closest marina is Lake Diefenbaker in the middle of winter. :P And no offense I don't see any appreciable difference between leaded and unleaded for this purpose. Many epoxy putty is Bisphenol A based which is a polymer susceptible primarily to heat. So any solvent with heat could do the job but brings in 2 factors: Heating a flammable or oxidizable chemical (also very carcinogenic) and that heating also makes the solvent more active on the soft nelspot (time when leaded gas may make a difference).

Most of my concern is that the hardening agent used could react with one of the base solvents which may lead to a crummy situation. Not the highest quality metal in these guns. rithunder916 how long was it in the gas for? What material was the body/marker (older marker I imagine)? And how soft did it get?

I'm just looking for any info on tried methods or products out their for this intended purpose. If not I'll give acetone a try as I know it works on different polymers well and should on this as well. If not its a dremel and files.... the painful messy way.

Also a very cool source for solvents, polymers/epoxys:
Epoxy solvents(Bruce Hamilton, Larry Lippman)

BTW Jordan 42 in a scientific or spiritual sense.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
DSL is new here

shock, epoxy is very brittle. a well placed sharp crack with a light hammer can cause it to decouple from the body, or just crack and be easier to pick off.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
I've porked many

Hot water as in boiling, will soften the epoxy and cause it to lift.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rithunder916

Yea hot water works too, I think the gasoline that I used had other chemicals in it, cause it was nasty stuff....could take paint off of anything, as well as grease etc off your hands...it was a solution i think a friend made to clean car parts.

As for the putty, I tested it last night and a sharp crack with a rubber mallet helped quite a bit to loosen it up on an old project of mine. I also have used a small butane torche to heat the expoxy up as well..

Again it all depends on the project and what you have avaiable. Epoxy is good stuff, but not in-destructible.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Gasoline isn't going to harm steel. And leaded gasoline is available at some marinas still, as a lot of old boats still need it - yes, even in Canada.

Jordan
You'll find it at virtually every small airport out there.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts