mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
"Set The Bar Low"

CCM Fan
Can Carbon fiber be bored for inserts?

I have a couple stiffi barrels and also have a Checkit bore lock kit, the sizers are similar to freak sizers but they are only about 3/4" long. I would like to eliminate the checkit adapter and just use the sizers inside the stiffi barrel. Anyone know if a stiffi barrel can be bored for inserts and if so where?

MY FEEDBACK ON EBAY
https://myworld.ebay.com/ebwilsonx4

A long time ago I met a Man I called my friend. Why now, many years later, can't I remember his face? Has He left, or have I just chose not to look?
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Club
I think it would splinter the carbon fiber, I don't believe you can bore it out at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Even if you could get away with machining it, and I think you might in any other case, stiffies are just too thin.
I doubt it would survive the process and if it did you wouldn't have much structural integrity left after. If any.
This is all assuming you don't manage to unravel all the fibers doing this or mess up the barrel otherwise in the process, and even if you made it that far you'd have a hell of a time sealing the inside of the barrel with epoxy again and still having your inserts fit.

So in short, no way.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party View Post
Even if you could get away with machining it, and I think you might in any other case, stiffies are just too thin.
I doubt it would survive the process and if it did you wouldn't have much structural integrity.

This is all assuming you don't manage to unravel all the fibers doing this, at the very least you'd have a hell of a time sealing the inside of the barrel with epoxy again and still having your inserts thin.

So in short, no way.
Pretty much what i was going to say. After machining it for inserts, you'd probably be left with less than 0.002" of material left, you could breath on it and it would snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

not to my knowledge. if you want carbon with inserts - look at the deadlywind barrels.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Pretty much what i was going to say. After machining it for inserts, you'd probably be left with less than 0.002" of material left, you could breath on it and it would snap.
Heh, manged to quote me before my edit.
But yea, bad idea all round.
I'll second the recomendation of the Deadlywind barrels, they're quite pricy but you get what you pay for.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
you can bore carbon fibre

i've never done it, but my boss says its doable

now you need to find a barrel that is thick enough that you can bore it out for inserts.

sooo probably one of the JT Carbon barrels :P
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
"Set The Bar Low"

CCM Fan
they are the same diameter and thickness as the Deadly winds and they seem to be plenty large enough for the freak insert. Also the bore would only be 3/4" deep and would still be well within the aluminum covered portion of the barrel. I think it would hold up as far as stability is concerned but the trick would be dealing with the carbon fiber and the unraveling. I had a DW barrel and it didn't seem to have any thick epoxy covering to the bored out section of the barrel.

MY FEEDBACK ON EBAY
https://myworld.ebay.com/ebwilsonx4

A long time ago I met a Man I called my friend. Why now, many years later, can't I remember his face? Has He left, or have I just chose not to look?
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
if its done correct, you shouldnt need anything

but im not volunteering :P
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I'd say the hardest part is finding someone to do it. Carbon fiber dust is really bad.
ta2maki is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts