mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

LOL...ok now I know to ignore you if you think filling co2 from a bulk tank to a smaller bottle transfers just liquid without any boiling occurring in either tank. I never said its causing heat, I said its removing heat. As the liquid flows from the bulk to the smaller bottle, it pulls heat out of the tank walls boiling the liquid co2 into a gas state. And its the co2 gas pressure which is responsible for pushing the liquid out of the bulk tank and into the smaller tank. That's why bulk tanks use siphon tubes. If you didn't pre-chill the bottle being filled, the liquid flowing into it would boil into a gas too quickly, and as the pressure inside climbs higher than what's in the bulk, no more liquid co2 will flow into it.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Autocannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
LOL...ok now I know to ignore you if you think filling co2 from a bulk tank to a smaller bottle transfers just liquid without any boiling occurring in either tank. I never said its causing heat, I said its removing heat. As the liquid flows from the bulk to the smaller bottle, it pulls heat out of the tank walls boiling the liquid co2 into a gas state. And its the co2 gas pressure which is responsible for pushing the liquid out of the bulk tank and into the smaller tank. That's why bulk tanks use siphon tubes. If you didn't pre-chill the bottle being filled, the liquid flowing into it would boil into a gas too quickly, and as the pressure inside climbs higher than what's in the bulk, no more liquid co2 will flow into it.
The boiling point of carbon dioxide is -57 C at pressures above 5 ATM.

900 psi = 61 atmospheres

Last edited by tiny; 12-13-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #23 (permalink)

Careful guys...It's best not to argue with an idiot.

They'll only drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesjackson View Post
This is the best nerd rage I have seen to date on this site. This owns.
Lol dont hate. Everytime I see a gun that has a great stock regulator in a sale thread or a general thread i ask if they still have the stock reg. Its a great way to snag BL 360 regs, Torps, PE regs, Ion regs, all regs that are better than cp's.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny_the_tokin_bear View Post
The boiling point of carbon dioxide is -57 C at pressures above 5 ATM.

900 psi = 61 atmospheres
Yep, but above a certain pressure for a given temperature, boiling ceases to occur. That is why we can transfer liquid co2 the way we do and why it'll happily sit around inside your paintball tanks in a partially liquid / partially gaseous state for years on end at normal room temperatures (typically around 20C / 68F). The problem with co2 though is that as the temperature rises, so can how much liquid can be boiled into a gas, which then raises the pressure. That's why the tanks often blow their burst discs if say, you leave it sitting in a car on a hot day, or drop your gear bag with the tanks inside next to a radiator when you get home.

There's actually an excellent article on co2 on warpig.

CO2 Dynamics

In any case, this is all side tracking from my ranting about the Ninja tank and its regulator.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post

You know, this isn't the first time I've seen you take the inflammatory, combative path in the CO2 vs. HPA discussion. And the more it continues, combined with the fact you're a fairly new arrival, the more I start thinking this is intentional trolling.

I welcome the fact that you have your opinion and want to express/discuss it, but seriously dude, do everyone here a favor and chill the hell out about it.
FEEDBACK
Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

I'm new to mcarterbrown, but not new to paintball forums. I was an old hand on warpig, tinker's guild and the BEOG many years ago, not to mention the usenet paintball groups. Hence why Hurtcow asked in one of the other forums a couple weeks ago if I was the same guy he knew from many years ago. I also DID have a Mcarterbrown account many years ago but it apparently was deleted for non-activity as I hadn't bothered to come on here for hmmm, five or six years....
Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Club
Why haven't you contacted Ninja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Owner www.our-kot.com

Brass and Wood Fan
i was wondering the same thing
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
A few points.

1. Once the compressor is paid off it is cheaper for fields to fill HPA.
2. Most all electronic guns and some non electronic guns CANNOT run on CO2.
3. HPA provides more consistent pressures.
4. HPA is more user friendly for newer players, and is "self serve" most of the time.
5. HPA is easier on o-rings.
6. CO2 is getting more and more expensive
7. CO2 tanks are prone to corrosion, possibly comprising the structural integrity.
8. CO2 is a pain to fill, and can often be over filled. HPA is regulated at the fill station 4500 or 3000.
9. Just a Matter of time before OSHA requires yearly training for facilities that house over a certain amount of CO2.

HPA is greater than CO2 for 80% of the paintball world
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts