mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Video Camera...possible extended battery?

So i have a couple of these ("lipstick" size power bank) for use on vacations and such to charge our phones and things with no electric...

And i have an R7 Replay video camera. I was wondering if this (linked above) would be able to act as an extended battery for the camera. (seems like this is more or less the same thing the 'official' extended battery is, just in a different form)

In the camera booklet it says is unadvised to record while charging from a PC, as the R7 draw is the same as the max most USB ports can take. The specs on this say it outputs the same volts/amps as the camera takes.

I might try it tomorrow, but it would be nice to have some conformation as to the likelyhood of any dmg.

Thanks for your help.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Apple Sucker

IMO the problem might be that the PC reads the data on the camera at the same time that it is being recorded... as most memory cards are formatted in FAT32, it could cause a world of pain because of the possibility of corruption of data being accessed and written at the same time...

but that is my theory, don't take my word on it...
Old 11-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass and Wood Fan
I've been thinking of doing the same thing but not with a R7. I've got an XTC something or other.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
They call me the Swede

The R7 has external batteries that one can buy. It would be worth checking out with them to see if your battery may work with their camera.
Thor Gundersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

^seems like you missed the part where i said i didn't want to pay the stupid marked up price for the "official" version, and was hoping this would be a viable (and much cheaper) alternative.

After using it, it seems that recording while this charge unit was plugged in may have somehow damaged the mic. The footage i have from that day and after, all the audio sounds like crap.

So i will not be doing that again any time soon.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Brass and Wood Fan
Can you actually attribute the use of the extra battery to the mic being damaged?
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
They call me the Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
^seems like you missed the part where i said i didn't want to pay the stupid marked up price for the "official" version, and was hoping this would be a viable (and much cheaper) alternative.

After using it, it seems that recording while this charge unit was plugged in may have somehow damaged the mic. The footage i have from that day and after, all the audio sounds like crap.

So i will not be doing that again any time soon.
I think that missed that I said to talk to the guys at R7 and see if you can use your current batteries with the camera. I understand that you don't want to buy something else, but it does not hurt to ask. And no one would no better than them.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Considering the camera did not take any hits and the only variable that was changed was the use of the charge unit between when the footage sounded decent and when it first sounded like crap.

Thor, i apologize, however, i seriously doubt anyone there will say "yes, that unit you can buy for $10 will do the exact same thing as the one you can get from us for $70"
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
They call me the Swede

Perhaps doing a comparison of the voltage and the milliamperes between their expensive batteries and your considerably less expensive batteries? That seems like the only way to determine if the battery is the flaw here. Kind of odd, I thought the camera used up it's internal battery before using the external battery. That should have given you an hour before the external battery gave you any issues.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Brass and Wood Fan
How do you take it to the field? Does it roll around your bag or anything like that?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts