mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
A Very Manly Muppet

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
You'd be suprized how little it takes to launch a nerf rocket, even a smoke grenade.
I made a stacked tube one with some 2 inch pvc pipe and a modded sprinkler valve. Launches nerfs as fast as you can want at 100psi, 70 psi is more usable at below 200fps, and the dump chamber is only 24 inches long 2" pvc pipe. Also this thing will launch a smoke grenade sized water bottle farther than someone should ever need to launch one, I literally overshot our entire field shooting it at a 45 degree angle and landed 100 feet past in a cane field.
I really like the sounds of this!! What air source did you use in conjunction with the sprinkler valve?

After reading some of the other posts, I'd really like to avoid any risk of blowing up the cannon and sending PVC fragments er where. I have settled with PVC piping, its the air source thats I need to figure out. I'd prefer a refillable option, thats why I originally suggest Co2 and HPA.

Also, I'm going to be the ONLY person using/handling this device. I will only be shooting objects into the air, way above and away from any human or animal. contacts.

My BST Feedback : https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html'
My Drone DX Sale Thread : https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...rel-f-s-t.html
BillyTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFiW1LYtts

I pretty much copied that design, had an angel LCD frame that I attached an asa to and screwed a tank into, ran it into a reg and had a overpressure valve on the tip.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

build this
CSV19 Pneumatic Antenna Launching System
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Schedule 40 PVC for barrel only! You can get ball valves rated up to 1500psi. Might have to order from ebay. Use that for your trigger. Pressure chamber needs to be high pressure metal pipe. Does not need to be big. I think I used 1/2inch diameter a couple feet in length. You can use a HPA tank attached to a remote putting pressure in the metal pipe. Dumps to Sched 40 barrel pushing anything out. I build a breech load system. Launched nerf rocket footballs well beyond 100 yards at around 190fps. We had a lot of fun at campus events with that thing. 12 grams are an idea, but the volume to push stuff down a bigger barrel (aka something you can actually cram a t-shirt down) needs a bigger air tank. I recommend for safety have an on/off between the tank and the pressure chamber. It never was an issues since tank output's 800psi on a hpa. The metal pipe expansion chamber was well regulated beyond that. The on/off keeps you from wasting too much air per shot.

Free face painting.....bring yo kidz.......
AngryScottishRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
A Very Manly Muppet

Brass and Wood Fan
Haha it's been a while so I thought I'd post an update here. I did end up making a cannon and boy is it ever fun.

I went with the combustion based ABS system and it works incredibly well. Took a 3", 3 foot ABS pipe and cut it in half for the expansion chamber. I then added a screw cap and it's respective threaded coupling in the back, so we can load in the fuel (hairspray, or axe below.) Put a reducer coupling to 1.5" barrel on the front end. We also got creative and installed a grate in the barrels coupling to prevent anything from falling into the expansion chamber. Drilled a few holes in the chamber and threaded in a BBQ igniter to create the needed arc.

Sealed her air tight with a few coats of ABS cement here and there and viola. $45 Potato/Confetti Cannon.

Pics:
My friend standing next to the device for size reference. He's 6'1" so it's just under that assembled and upright. It's taller then me.

Also here's a video of it firing a potato. The potato is a perfect bore-to-barrel match for maximum efficiency
VID_20140627_212350_zpsdfabd6fe.mp4 Video by willcook21 | Photobucket

Now, We are considering making a second one too. Mostly because the first one is dope but also because the expansion chamber is a bit too big. Not only will it fire things off with more umph but it's also pretty finicky with the amount of Oxygen/Fuel it needs to fire off successfully. I'll post assembled pics tomorrow.

Cheers,
Will

My BST Feedback : https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html'
My Drone DX Sale Thread : https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...rel-f-s-t.html
BillyTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

i would never run a combustion cannon in a public venue
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts