mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Barrel Cam VS Helmet Cam

Recently, I've acquired a new R7 Replay XD1080 camera and am looking to start a paintball channel. On this channel I plan to include some paintball gameplay footage. Wanting the best experience possible for the viewers, I want to know whether you as the paintball community prefer watching Barrel Cam footage or Helmet Cam footage. Note: The Helmet Cam would be on the SIDE of the mask.
WiiMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

Ideally you will need both. Barrel cam usually shows lots of footage of your feet and the ground they are walking on. The Helmet/Goggle cam will show footage of the back of your hopper or the bunker you are using for cover.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pump whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Ideally you will need both. Barrel cam usually shows lots of footage of your feet and the ground they are walking on. The Helmet/Goggle cam will show footage of the back of your hopper or the bunker you are using for cover.
i agree totally, but start off with the helmet videos. also make sure to mount the camera on your left side (if your right handed) so that the hopper isn't in the way, and most guns are typically right feed.

Feedback
Mathaeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathaeu View Post
i agree totally, but start off with the helmet videos. also make sure to mount the camera on your left side (if your right handed) so that the hopper isn't in the way, and most guns are typically right feed.
I would actually suggest the opposite, most right handed people come out of the right side of the bunker more often. If you mount on the right side, you'll have a clear shot of the field instead of the back of the bunker more often.

Might I ask why you can't/won't mount it on the top? I had my R7 mounted to the visor on my E-vents; worked pretty good. Screwed this ebay special flat mount right into the plastic of the visor.

When I go golfing I bring two pair of paints in case I get a hole in one.

Allegheny College Paintball - Founder and Alumni
ΔTΔ Fraternity Alumni - TCFP
OTTO13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pump whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO13 View Post
I would actually suggest the opposite, most right handed people come out of the right side of the bunker more often. If you mount on the right side, you'll have a clear shot of the field instead of the back of the bunker more often.

Might I ask why you can't/won't mount it on the top? I had my R7 mounted to the visor on my E-vents; worked pretty good. Screwed this ebay special flat mount right into the plastic of the visor.
keyword is most. when you work on snap shooting and your left handed shooting you find yourself prone to come out of the left much more often. me personally I have my camera mounted on my left because of the pesky moments when i did come out on the right and my right feed paintball gun and hopper were in the way.
the top is definitely a good option, but with a large profile camera such as the gopro it becomes part of an open target. since you have an r7 I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Feedback
Mathaeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like I'll be going with the helmet cam then. I'll leave this thread up for a few more days to make sure this is what the majority wants. Meanwhile, has anyone mounted the R7 on V-Force Profilers? I want to mount it on the side, but the tab to remove the lenses is in the way. I'm also considering the "on the top" option.
WiiMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have my camera (ion air pro3) attached to a picatinny quick release. With a rail on my helmet and gun. So I can switch at will.
As a standard, the footage from my helmet was much more useable and watchable
But having it on my gun sometimes has better "kill shots"
Especially in slow motion.
So a two camera set up would be best.
But if just one, I'd go with helmet. Top of the helmet.
scribbleheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiMint View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like I'll be going with the helmet cam then. I'll leave this thread up for a few more days to make sure this is what the majority wants. Meanwhile, has anyone mounted the R7 on V-Force Profilers? I want to mount it on the side, but the tab to remove the lenses is in the way. I'm also considering the "on the top" option.
Use that. I had a different camera and I put a bolt for the tripod mount right through that. You want the most rigid mounting area you can use. Make sure things are aiming where you want and it's all done.

I just got a Replay and will be mounting it this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

From my experience, mask mounting depends on how you shoot your marker. I tilt my head behind my marker so center mounting only captures footage of my hopper and I have to put it either right or left side. I'm right handed so I tend to prefer mounting it on my right side since it's the cleanest "angle" for me.

If you sight down the side of your barrel you wont have this problem and you can mount it on the top of your mask with decent footage. I'll use my headstrap if I'm playing magfed or using a really low profile hopper.

Just something to think about when you're figuring out how you want to mount it.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathaeu View Post
keyword is most. when you work on snap shooting and your left handed shooting you find yourself prone to come out of the left much more often. me personally I have my camera mounted on my left because of the pesky moments when i did come out on the right and my right feed paintball gun and hopper were in the way.
the top is definitely a good option, but with a large profile camera such as the gopro it becomes part of an open target. since you have an r7 I don't see why it wouldn't work.
In my opinion, if you want good footage, you should throw good paintball technique out the window and focus on good camera technique.

Example: There are a few other guys that can drive just as well as Ken Block, but if you've ever watched their videos, its just not as cool.

Gather some buddies and practice taking videos of staged shootouts in your back yard without paint or air, and see what translates well to the screen.

If you go gun mounted, you could probably get a lot of decent footage, but you need to hold the gun level all the time and forget about snap shooting.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts