mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadowHunter

Proto SLG and CO2

Despite what the manual says can you actually use CO2 on the Proto SLG? I ask because it doesn't have an electro pneumatic solenoid that could be ruined if liquid CO2 entered the marker. In fact it has a clapper solenoid similar to a blowback with an electronic grip frame.

So why does the manual state not to use CO2 as an air source? Is it because the regulator won't be able to handle CO2 flowing through it? Are there air passages in the marker that could cause issues? Or is it just because the CO2 will eat the o-rings?
DarkShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Interesting thing. While the first run had the usual Dye/Proto "no CO2" warnings in the manual, the later 09 SLG's didn't, and were even sold in a players pack with a mask, hopper, and 20oz CO2 tank....

Proto SLG Player Paintball Gun Combo Pack - Black / Blue

Though I'd personally only do it with a properly set up Anti-syphon tube in the tank. Just in case.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

That is very interesting. Maybe they realized the air source didn't matter due to the marker being essentially a sear tripper.

I don't plan to intend to configure mine for CO2 in the foreseeable future. If I were to use CO2 as an air source I would do a double Palmer Stabilizer set up though. The ASA would be replaced with a female and the Hyper 3(?) would be replaced with either a direct or a male. I know I would need an adapter or three to make one of those work.

It is one of those projects that are in the back of my mind that would happen if the whole time:money ratio falls into order.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

improperly set up, it could lead to inconsistant velocity, but I don't really see anything in an SLG that it should harm.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

You still shouldn't use co2. Co2 will continue to expand post-regulation, causing your reg piston to dig into and destroy your reg seat. Also, since the bolt is driven back and forth based on gas pressure and not a spring, having excess pressure behind it can damage the bolt and/or sear. Even if no damage occurs, the gun may seize if the pressure behind the bolt is too great and pressing to hard on the sear so the solenoid can't actuate it. If you ran it anti-siphon it should be ok, but otherwise you have high risks.

My recommendation: Don't do it if you want to keep the gun working. Then again, it is an SLG, so it may be better off retired.

Zephyr also sells GoG guns with Co2 because it says you can use either co2 or air in their ads, but if you read the manual or the tag attached to the air-line when you buy the gun, its says Anti-siphon or HPA only. In my experience, if its not Palmers or WGP, and it has a reg, then Co2 is a bad idea.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Like I said this isn't something that is going to happen immediately. It is a project I would work on later on down the road when I have nothing else to tinker with. When that time comes I know Palmer's will be getting quite a bit of my money.

The only thing about anti-siphon is I am not sure if there is anyone who still makes or installs an anti-siphon tube. I did a quick look at the PPS site, but saw nothing. If that isn't a possibility anymore I could always run a remote line.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
ton up boy

It probably won´t work long enough anyways to have any problems caused by CO2.
The reg will freeze and spike if you shoot long enough, but moderate rates of fire should be fine.

But I would not use it for any project, as it is crap, and all your hard work will go to waste.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I agree with Baader, SLG's don't last long even if you do take care of them and only use air, etc. I wouldn't base a project on one, your time will be wasted when it wears out during testing or just after project completion.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

I must have one that was built on a Wednesday then. My first gen SLG has been abused about as bad as my 98 and it is still going strong. Of course I should mention that I don't use it often. I got a good deal on it and figured it would be fun to fool around with.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

In the end it's completely up to you. Sounds like you might have a lucky, well built SLG, and if you want to build a project on it then that's your call. If you do decide to do it then please share with us! I always like to see what people come up with!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts