mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thank you skipdogg, that's some good advice. this is what I've done for a living for almost 30 years so I have to run it like a business. I agree player comfort is a great thing to offer. We have a golf cart that the refs can radio in for and we run it out with paint, air, drinks, snacks spare guns and even a chronograph. Whatever the group needs. This has been popular because of facility is big and we can save a lot of walking by going to them. Our furthest field is 1/2 mile from the safety area and resupply.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Deplorable...

i show up to play at 8:15 and we don't actually start playing until 10:05.
then break for lunch at 12:20 and then don't start playing again until 1:30.
this is a total waste of time...

i've always someone to organize and start games every 20 minutes so there is always either a game playing, game ending or game beginning.
make someone the maitre' d to get games started and keep them flowing throughout the day...

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Okay, quick question I see free air as an option but covering the cost in another way. When we did all day air for a set fee. We had trouble with guys topping off their tanks every game, they could have a 114 cu in and be down 100 psi from full and they wanted it topped off. We lost a lot of time waiting for these guys that we could have been playing. It's ridiculous to top off every game, how do you guys do it with air?

And we have a nice compressor it's a Mako with 6 full size tanks in the 3600 PSI bank and 2 in the 4500 psi bank. The Mako also has the filters and dryer to keep moisture out so as not to give you fills that helps to rust your regulator parts. We thought that would be a nice touch!
I've been running a field for 3 years now (going on 4), and we offer free refills also. We have it so only refs and allowed members (the mature sponsored players) can fill tanks. The refs are trained to ask players how much air they have left, if they are under 1000psi we will fill it up, anything above that and we roll another game. At the end of the day we can top them up regardless of how much air is in their tank. Hope this helps!

-the guy who kinda knows how to run a field
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #24 (permalink)

We can't let anyone but staff fill tanks, (insurance regs.) We have to keep a 1-15 maximum on staff to players as well. So our hands are a little tied as far as what we can do. We do try to get them to wait until they NEED air but with free or set price all day air its hard. But once you charge them per fill, they'll run that tank down to 700 and swear they can get one more game on it.
Would I really be fooling them if I offered free air but like the earlier post said charged them in a different way? If the field fee went up or the price of paint goes up a 1/2 cent they'll know what were doing?

I always get such a kick out of the guy that pulls in with his $50,000 SUV comes in with $3,000 in gear, everything you could ever put on a wish list. The goes beserk because he thinks my paint is $5 a case too high! It doesn't matter at all what we need to make for a profit margin to keep the place going. He's only worried about his wallet. I've seen these guys drop 100's of balls on the wooden floor and leave them. My word, if you think paint is a little high, don't waste it.

We are not a speedball field, we do mostly traditional style play. Our guys shoot 500-800 rounds in a 6 hour day and have a blast. It's a very gentle and relaxed style of play. But because of the low paint consumption we don't do much for large volume sales. And when the classic speedballer shows up and wants 2 cases to start with. The problems soon follow. He scares the crap out of the regular players by tuning up his electronic 30 balls per second paint thrower. By now the regulars are gripping their Tippmanns with sweaty palms and fear is creeping in. If we can convince them to mix for a game, usually that's it. One game and they want no more of it. Then we have 20 regulars and maybe 3 speedballers we can't mix. I've even offered free rental to replace the big guns so they can mix back in. These guys have enough skill so they could still own the field if they played hard. But that seldom works. They get angry because the targets won't play with them anymore.

This is going to become a serious problem real soon. There is a speedball field just 4 miles away and we've always done pretty well by just giving each other room. He gets the speedballers I get the traditional players. It's worked well for years. But now he's closing down. His players are going to be looking for a new home. I know I can't mix them, that's never worked. But I may have to start a parallel field inside our facility for just speedball? We have the room, 62 acres. Heck the parking lot is the size of a 2-3 speedball fields. But it's going to be interesting!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

I have played at a field that really kept the games flowing. There was 5 minutes between the end of one game and the beginning of the next. If you were not ready then you waited until the next game started. This worked because the staging area was centrally located to the the fields. The air station was always staffed so players could fill quickly when they wanted to top off. Most players did not try to top off between every game because there just was not time for it. Sitting out a game was not a big deal because as soon as it was over another would be starting in 5 minutes. there was a 20 minute lunch break around noon and then back at it again until the sun was going down.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

Wow, that sounds a bit too fast, we can kind of judge between games by the stories the players are telling. Usually 10 minutes maybe 15 and they are ready to go again. But rushing them has adverse effects. We normally run a 20 minute game limit. I mean part of the fun is letting them share the stories with their buddies to a point. Lunch we let them go back out when they are ready, but we try not to let them have more then 40 minutes downtime. Our break area has tables chair, free soda or bottle water and AC so on hot days they tend to hug the cool air. Again listening to the stories and when they start to slow down just start asking are you guys ready to go back yet? seems to work. Our guys won't do pick up groups often, they want to stay with their own party. So it makes it tougher.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

It is a fast turn around but once the guys catch on they like it because it gives them more playing time. I agree the stories are important this just gives them more stories to share later. Usually after a few games you will have a few guys sit out a game every now and then just to catch a break.
Quote:

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Why not just limit ROF seems like a simple solution. (Say 10bps semi) they eather conform or play at another field.

Charging per fill for HPA is silly. I run small tanks so it would cost me more to run my phantom then the kid with the 30+bps space gun with the 77ci tank and 11pods.

Charging per fill of Co2 is a diffrent story.

I hate going to a field and getting nickle and dimmed. I want to pay for what I need and go play. I pay then lock my valuables in my car. So glad 90% of the fields in NY/NJ don't have this practice. Walk up fill and get back on the field.

Waiting for games longer then 10-15min stinks. I try to get the most out of my day any longer im waisting playing time. Refs should help keep the players moving. (New players and Regulars should be separated) With new players you need to feel them out. Regulars just let them play thats what they came to do.

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box; 03-14-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

I looked at your website.....add pictures. Show pictures of groups who have played at your field. Get action shots of players up there as well.
Quote:

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Yeah we're still recovering on the website. it crashed a few weeks ago and we've had to rebuild it from scratch. takes a while.

I've tried to limit BPS or break them into groups of equal firepower. But it's like velocity, a guy with a multiple setting electric can go on the field in semi and as soon as he feels the need he's moved up to ramping or full auto with the press of a button.

If we were a simple speedball field I can agree charging for each fill would be silly, but if I charge you $2.00 to fill a 48 and $3 to fill a 68. would it be better to charge $10 for all day air? Again remember we don't shoot 2000 balls a day my guys shoot 500 to 800 if they go crazy. I can do 500 on a single fill and certainly 800 on 2 fills of a 48.

The trouble is to establish a price list that works for both speedball and traditional play. They are so different it's almost impossible to do. I guess if speedball fields didn't charge a field fee but added a little to their paint it might bring it close.

Last edited by dutchman; 03-14-2015 at 04:54 PM.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts