mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old gear!

E-Pneumag- Which actuator?

I've got a friend with a beautiful mag... and he wants to ditch it because it's not fast enough. I told him about Pneumags, and caught his interest a little bit, and then struck upon an idea (novel or not, I don't know) of using an e-frame with a solenoid 3-way, attached to the actuator, to make something that would just be incredible, while using almost no battery power (as opposed to an Emag).

I've got it all planned out, but don't know where to get the actuators that are commonly used. Or if it needs to be a custom-built part. Also, kinda curious as to if a Microrock or SCM-3 has a fast enough recharge to keep up... would think it could, but 6 inches of hose could be a bit restricting. 1/8 ID hose be a good idea, instead of standard 1/16? Should I have a volumizer of sorts in the frame, right near the solenoid valve, for the LP gas?

Anything else I should watch out for? Not planning on starting for quite some time, but definitely planning.
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have seen Mags with Ego frames. Try the tech section on Automags.org

Here is a how to for the Ego frame
Automags.Org Online Forums - How To Put An Ego Frame On A Mag

"]My Feedback"]
El Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

You could buy an old electro board and fit it into the frame, or use a different frame like linked to above.

I ball for Team Fracture
B&E Paintball --- Wild World Paintball
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old gear!

I was more looking for the sear actuator, actually... Someone told me a Clippard actuator on ASP works, but I'll need to make my own plunger.
If I used a cocker-style ram from SMC, maybe 1/4 inch throw, what sort of bore would I need to keep it under 75psi? If I used the MPA-3 (I think it was) what pressure is needed?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweightnate View Post
I was more looking for the sear actuator, actually... Someone told me a Clippard actuator on ASP works, but I'll need to make my own plunger.
If I used a cocker-style ram from SMC, maybe 1/4 inch throw, what sort of bore would I need to keep it under 75psi? If I used the MPA-3 (I think it was) what pressure is needed?
You will need enough pressure to trip the sear.
PSI = Pounds per Square Inch.

If your particular valve needs 5lbs of force to trip the sear (trigger pull weight) and the MPA-3 has a 3/8" bore (.11049inē), you would need a minimum of 45.25 psi. Most, if not all, pneumags use an adjustable LPR.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Agent of Satan

Send a message via Yahoo to AngelChaser

Head over to Automags.org, there are several walk-throughs on building a Pneumag. There are a few threads that discuss different actuator options and one of the vendors even makes the piston for the Clippard MPA3, which is the most commonly used actuator for Pneumags.

Just look for the threads by Pneumagger, he even has an instructional video or two floating around.
AngelChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
65%More Bullet Per Bullet

My personal idea on the subject was the cheapest idea possible:
A used Ion stock board and 3Way, and a Clippard MPA3, the piston tapped for a screw to act as a plunger. Plumb it off a Sledgehammer Cocker regulator.

Any LPR will provide enough air to slam an MPA-3 back and forth faster than the spring can return the piston. need more speed, turn up the pressure.
Ion stock board has a Noid and valve right on it, As well as the switch. Mount it in an intelliframe, Below the MPA3 and you're all set.
Not a Super Easy project, but do-able with minimal tools.
Tohri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old gear!

Alright, cool. I was actually looking at maybe using a B2K 9300 board I had around, hooked to an inexpensive 3- or 4-way. I have to say though... The Infinity Legend uses a spring return for up to 100cps. Sure a 4-way is faster than spring return? Even if it isn't I might stick to spring to keep the circuitry/valving simpler.

Planning on a Microrock or SCM-3, too. I figure if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts