mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Autococker timing

Hi all,

I'm working on timing my system X vengeance 2.0. Is there any order of operations that makes this easier? Or if somebody could direct me towards a general guide /how to.

Although the sear releases before the ram moves back, when letting go of the trigger, the ram returns forward before the sear is able to catch the hammer lug. Just need some time to work on it, advice would be appreciated

Thanks all
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

The timing is too tight, screw your 3-way spool a turn or 2 in (got to love that tool-less adjustment).
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Ok there is such a thin line between the previously mentioned problem, and what seems to be the overlap of the ram moving back while the hammer is still moving forward. And I can't seem to find the right spot in the middle. On my other cocker, the timing almost seems more spaced out and distinctive. I need a high FPS camera or something.
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Silly question, but its slipped my mind before and left me scratching my head for hours. Have you adjusted the hammer lug?
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by foughtwolf View Post
Silly question, but its slipped my mind before and left me scratching my head for hours. Have you adjusted the hammer lug?
Good point, if you set the hammer lug and sear to have a hair pin trigger usually the cocking action is violent enough to trip the sear. Back out the hammer lug a bit, make sure it grabs well, then after everything else is timed screw in the hammer lug a bit to get a better trigger.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Yeah I've been messing with that too, the lug is flush with the bottom of the cocker body. The trigger sear goes about 3/16" above the frame, is the seat the wrong size? Will tinker some more and report back. Getting my HPA tank filled at sport chalet because I emptied it dryfiring the eagle cocker
Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
If you have autocockers I'd recommend investing in a scuba tank. Cuz timing is one thing, wait til you have to start replacing orings and fixing leaks.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Take out your bolt and set the hammer lug first. As mentioned above, set it where it is not as light as possible particularly at first. You can go back and reset that later.
Some trigger frames have stops in them as well, so before you start make sure your trigger travel is "open" where you want.

Make sure that your pump rod actuates all the way back. I like to set mine where the backblock is just a tiny hair off the back of the body when the bolt is closed, it reduces slap. Leave plenty of thread in the backblock as well as the ram arm. I like to use just a touch of loktite here so the pump arm doesn't move out. Make sure before you set it with loktite that you have full clearance around the pump arm and body through it's range of motion.

Next, set your cocking rod where the sear catches just when the bolt is fore of clearing the breech as it opens.

Set up your three way rod where (at first) you can pull the trigger and release the sear and THEN get the backblock to move. Slowly adjust the three way lug towards or away from the frame (slider or hinge move different) slightly and test to see how close you are. I like to set mine where the force required to trip the sear is enough to make me pull full three way travel. If you are using gravity fed hopper it's good to leave a bit more "space".
Keep in mind that moving your lug release point will also move your three way timing in relation.

Go chrono your marker and get the LPR and IVG spring about where you need them.

Afterwards unload your marker and cycle it while turning down the LPR till it won't catch the sear. Turn it back up slowly while you fire. When it catches the sear, give it another 1/8 to 1/4 turn up and fire rapidly. Make sure you aren't short stroking, but be sure that the LPR is high enough to reliably catch the sear when cycling.

Tuned cocker.

Last edited by punkncat; 10-06-2015 at 06:43 PM.
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
If you haven't done so already, you should definitely read up here. Ravi's tutorials are what taught me how to do it years ago and they're still the best resource out there.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Thanks punk and johnM, I got it about where I need it timing wise. A problem I am also having with the pressure in general is if I set the pressure too low, it leaks from the 3 way, but seals and stops when I turn up the pressure. Is this normal?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts