mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Spinnygunner

Brass and Wood Fan
Mokal Titan

Thinking about picking up one of these for a hack-and-slash build. Decent shooters? Any thoughts or things I should know? Better to try and snag a Mag or something?

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
We used to use the later model Mirage (identical other than no vertical ASA or powerfeed and different grips) at a field I worked at. Solid reliable shooters. Barrels are not quite cocker threads, but seem to be close enough.

Basically a tippman with a smaller, lighter, more streamlined body. Though the valve is more like a Mega-Z or Stingray (shooting air goes through the middle of the valve pin, not around the outside of the valve).

Only mechanical issues on the old fleet where sometimes the valve seal which is pressed into the valve cap would separate. Amazingly the gun would still seal, fire, and recock when this happens, but chronoing would suddenly become difficult. Sometimes the urethane valve o-rings would develop air bubbles in them, but that was after a few years of constant CO2 use. Easy to replace those anyways. Switching to a different o-ring material fixed it for good. About the only critical failure would be the bolt linkage arm breaking, happened pretty rarely, and these were used and abused rentals, but something to keep in mind. It may be hard to source a replacement these days.

I'm really surprised these weren't found in more tinkering projects. The titan was all set up to receive all the standard upgrade parts with out needing any major fabrication.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Spinnygunner

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
I'm really surprised these weren't found in more tinkering projects. The titan was all set up to receive all the standard upgrade parts with out needing any major fabrication.
That was my thought; it's essentially a self-contained metal tube so it'd be good for a few different projects. Evidently they don't like liquid Co2 though, and I WAS planning to do a 4oz off the vert ASA...

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Vert tanks are pretty much as good as you can get when it comes to liquid prevention. Go for it.

Though keep an eye on those outer valve o-rings.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have one. Mine was always problematic...

See this thread:

Mokal Titan - too much oil = jackhammering
Loochy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
I remember I used to buy up all the cheap mirages I saw on ebay. Lots of fields used them as rentals in the 90s, so really cheap ones used ones were always around.

I had all sorts of ideas for projects, like 3 or 4 barrels guns, or milsim whatever. They had tiny bodies good for conversions. But in the end, they never seemed to function well enough, and I mostly canibalized the nice lonestar bottomlines and junked the rest.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts