mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
automag, because you can actually still get them and service from agd. they are super-easy to work on, and they are very customizable as well. it's not even a contest in my mind.
In the foxes defense they are also super easy to work on and find parts for as they function similar. infact without and on/off to deal with he fox is the simpler gun. You can also just gut the factory reg completely and run any aftermarket reg with it.

Not so much custimizable but i prefer the lack of unneeded parts such as a rail.

Thus why i own a Micromag and a Fox

Mechs For Sale
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un2xs View Post
Anybody else want to weigh in here?

It has been many, many moons since last I held a Mag, and it twas not mine. But I see "cheap" mags come through the sales threads a lot.

I rarely see Foxes sell. I know a big part of that is the lower production numbers. Fox owners seem to just not let go. Why is it harder to part with a Fox than a Mag?

-
The Foxes are even more a niche market than Automags. But I know one thing for sure, if mags were as hard to find as Foxes mag owners would hold onto their mags just like Fox owners do. But mag guys always know they can find a cheap classic for less than $100. So it's never a concern to sell one cause another is always in the next thread down.

You should get the mag for all the reasons Riddler mentioned. The availability of modern barrels is enough to make the mag a superior gun with today's smaller paint. Buy the Fox later when you want a mistress to your mag lol.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
on the contrary...ever tried finding a twist lock freak back? expensive.

ICD threaded barrels are easy to find and even easier to adapt with lapcos autococker To ICD adapters.

Mechs For Sale
Old 04-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've owned a couple Automag Freak barrels. Honestly not a fan... no need at all to underbore on these guns. Certainly not worth the potential level 10 grief.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Autococker Whisperer

I've never had any personal experience with Foxes, but my boss bought one back in the day and broke the bolt. He got a new updated bolt and broke that. He couldn't keep it working to save his life.

He has a puma as well, and even though it sat in storage for 10 years he still hasn't had to replace a single oring.

The only relevance to that story is to illustrate that he knows how to work on and maintain his gear.

So based on that knowledge, I'd say mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
broke the bolt? they are almost identical to mags. Im curious how this could happen

Mechs For Sale
Old 04-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

They have plastic or delrin tips. I've only used a Fox a handful of times and never broken one, but someone I sold one to had it break. At the time, ICD advised that they had no more. Dunno if they've since run any batches.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFishy View Post
on the contrary...ever tried finding a twist lock freak back? expensive.

ICD threaded barrels are easy to find and even easier to adapt with lapcos autococker To ICD adapters.
they come up for sale several times a year but yes they can get expensive. my favorite barrel with todays paint is a 2 piece J & J
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

I used my Fox regularly back in the 90s after they first came out. At the height of my paintball days I was playing a couple times a month at an indoor place. The delrin bolt tip on my '98 broke that year. ICD fixed the bolt and replaced the tip with an aluminum tip. I have yet to break that tip, but it has seem no where near the use the old tip did.
I got a used 96 Fox a few years back that has seem almost no field time judging by the wear on the bolt. It has a delrin tip and I feel like if I break that, I will have a paperweight on my hands.

And as far as the initial discussion goes, If I was picking a gun that was going to work day in and day out, I'd get an Automag.
If you want to be different and have people ask you what gun you have at a field, get a Fox.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well, depending on the field, a lot of people will ask what you have with a mag too
Angel - The Supermodel we kinda want, but not really
Tippman - She's butch
Automag - The cute girl in yer molecular biology class
BiNumber3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts